VMware Cloud Community
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Exchange Server 2010 on ESXi vSphere 4 !!!

Hello there,

We have a physical Exchange Server 2003 running Windows Server Ent 2003 32-bit with 945 mailbox as per Microsoft Exchange Server Profile Analyzer. We plan to move to Exchange Server 2010 in a Window Server 2008 R2 64-bit virtual machine. We have 2 Host HP DL380 G7 Six-Core Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz with 72 GB RAM and for the storage 2 HP Storageworks iSCSI SAN DC with 5.4 TB (MSA2312i - 2 LUN and MSA 2012i - 4 LUN), also we have 10 VM between the two Host, 5 per Host, so far no issues but I don't know if this two Host can handle the new Exchange Server. My question: can these two Host handle the workload of Exchange 2010?

My configuration

2 Host HP DL380 G7 Six-Core Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz with 72 GB RAM

2 HP Storageworks iSCSI SAN DC with 5.4 TB (MSA2312i - 2 LUN and MSA 2012i - 4 LUN)

VMware vSphere 4 Essentials

VMware vCenter 4.1

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: pesinet

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kcucadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm currently running a 110 user Exchange 2010 deployment, i split my rolls across 3 vms to load balance across multible hosts.

I have a server for CAS, HT, MBX the real work horse is going to be your CAS box, if your still a MIXed environment your HT will see allot of work as well.

the upside to spliting the rolls again is you can load balance as needed. I have very similar DL380G6 with 48GB ram and they aren't even breathing. but your load is Higher.

Worse case you may need to add another HOST but i think you should be fine.

the real trick is making sure to split up your IOP's across different Spindel groups (raid pools). you dont want all your Disk I/O from CAS, HT, MBX on the same LUN datastore.

I've noticed the 2010 is much more effecient than 2003 was.

pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input but I need to clarify someting. What do you mean with (I have a server for CAS, HT, MBX) that do you have 3 Exchange server, one for each role? I am lost. What about the RAID, I was thinking the OS in a VMFS3 in 1 LUN RAID 1, the Database and the Logs in a RDM in different LUNs with RAID 1 one for each other.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

The design of the raid really depends on the storage space you need, the number of disks you have and the level of luxury you can afford (raid10 perhaps)

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
kcucadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you would build out 3 seperate VM's.

One for each roll. nothing to stop you from keeping 2 rolls on the same host, but this way you can MOVE the rolls around based on performance/needs.

As far as storage goes, Virtualizing realing doesn't change the best practice recommendations from microsoft for sizing of your exchange environment.

you would always want your datastores on dedicated spindels. if you are breaking up your mailboxes into different datastore groups, just go with best practices.

one of the nice things about vSphere is you can basicly virtulize your storage. you dont have to dedicated so many spindels to just one server. you can build out a file system and put some very LOW i/o utility servers on the same luns as your exchange and they are not going to impact your end users experience. now other people here will disagree but most of them are storage vendors with 300-400 spindels in thier SANS. i only have 60... so sometimes you just have to share =D.

I would avoid RDM's unless you just have MASSIVE disk i/o needs. RDM's aren't bad, just makes things a little more complicated.

again My Exchange 2003 banged the hell out of my VSphere implementation, and exch 2010 is barely breathing. With outlook 2010 deployed, so much of the mailbox activity happens in the local OST.

The real key will be disk i/o just make sure you dedicate enough spindels to handel your i/o needs and you should be fine.

0 Kudos