VMware Cloud Community
mginformatica
Contributor
Contributor

Every 2/4 days datastore is empty. I must restart the server.

Hi,

i've a new server from 2 month.

Is a Asus a TS700-X7/PS4 bios 5302 . CPU intel E5-2620 v2 . I use the raid 6405 adaptec card (firmware v1.2.1-40301). I’ve 32GB of memory (my guest use in total 18GB).

I’ve ESXi 5.5 width 4 virtual server (2 x windows 2012 R2, 1x windows 8.1, 1 x linux centos 6.5). Free version. VM version is 8.

The system works well for about 2 / 4 days.

While working all virtual servers suddenly no longer online.

I open I see VMware vSphere client and the virtual server turned on but I can not interact with them. I press the browse datastore and I no longer see the files and folders, the datastore is empty!

I am forced to turn off the host server and turn it back on and everything works again fine.

Can be a bug in the drivers storage adapter with vmware 5.5 ? Or can be an incompatibility with VM version 8 of a virtual guest that in some case stop the storage adapter driver?

Thank you.

Giuseppe

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I'd say it is something between ESXi and your raid-controller. I recommend to update controller's bios and esxi-driver for that controller to the latest one (check Adaptec website)...

Next time it happens log into your ESXi (console, or ssh) and check if filesystem is mounted at all (df). If it disconnects, all you see is only mounting point (but quite naturally, empty). If this happens, try to remount your datastore.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos