VMware Cloud Community
shankerhari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ethernet driver issue.

Hello Everone,

I am planning to prepate a home lab and recently purchased a machine with underneath configuration:

Processor: Corei7 4770

Board: Intel DH87MC

RAM: 32Gigs

HDD: 1 TB Sata6.

The plan is to install ESXi5.1 directly on hardware for LAB instead of hosted one but unable to do so due to network driver issue. Is there any way to get rid of this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shankerhari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Everyone,

Finally I managed to find a solution after spending a full day I managed to get correct network driver for DH87MC (refer to attached driver) and injected it to original ISO using ESXi Customizer.

Successfully Installated ESXi 5.1 on above said configuration. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hari

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ESXi is made to run on server boards and not on desktop mobos.

This is a common issue because there are certain vendors who are certified by VMware and only when you use their cards the ESXi will have drivers for and will detect it.

One thing what you could do is try injecting the NIC card drivers into ESXi ISO. I can't tell it will work for sure but you could give it a try.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its not supported by VMware so you need to find a way around that, here is a workaround:

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2013/09/20/enable-the-intel-i217-v-network-card-in-vmware-esxi/

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I could create a custom ISO where this driver is included, if you'd like. Just let me know if you're interested.

Happy holidays!

shankerhari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Tomtom, I appreciate your help:

I tried injecting available offline bundle for !217V drivers using ESXi Customizer but unseccessfull. That would be a great help you can provide me a customized ISO, please share the details on my email Id is shankerhari@gmail.com.

Regards

Hari

0 Kudos
shankerhari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Everyone,

Finally I managed to find a solution after spending a full day I managed to get correct network driver for DH87MC (refer to attached driver) and injected it to original ISO using ESXi Customizer.

Successfully Installated ESXi 5.1 on above said configuration. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hari

0 Kudos
srini_tech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all

I have customised the vmware 5.5 hypervisor os and when i boot it getting configuration error while parasing /boot.cfg fatal error (15) can any one guide on this please

Smiley Sad

Regards

srini

0 Kudos