VMware Cloud Community
cloudpan
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi5.0 and Esxi5.5 DirectPath I/O is there a difference?

I have a 5.0 upgrade installation (new) to 5.5 after configuration DirectPath I/O, VM using PCI devices (in version 5.0 DirectPath I/O is normal when available), cannot open has the following tips, but put the VM machine in 5.0 on a server configuration is also normal, I ask what reason is this?

Open virtual machine Windows 2003 Slave power, will receive from the ESX host error.

The virtual machine cannot be started.

Because of a hardware or software support is not available, therefore unable to 0:29. 2 pciPassthru0 registered devices

IBM server 3650 M3 in I saw in the BIOS of the CPU Intel VT is open.

Thank you very much!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

What is vm hardware version after upgrade??

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
cloudpan
Contributor
Contributor

Had doubts because hardware version also ask, VM hardware version in 7.0 also has an error, is also an error after upgrading to 8.0.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What kind of hardware are you trying to Pass-through?

You should update your virtual hardware to vmx10 unless you are using the free version of ESXi.

Is the bios updated to the latest version?

Could you post the vmx-file, the vmware.log-file and the vmkernel.log?

(Use the advanced editor and attach the logs, DO NOT post them in a reply window)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
cloudpan
Contributor
Contributor

I put it down to 5.0 IBM is normal, and I in the DELL R710 installed on 5.5, there is no this problem, it seems I have to look for IBM website BIOS firmware upgrade, etc.

0 Kudos