VMware Cloud Community
prakash9339
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Esxi update

am running Esxi 5.0.0 515841

i have update the Esxi using v center update manager now is showing Esxi 5.0.0 1117897

i think it's 5.0.0.0 u2 may be

my question  is why it was not updated to  5.1 u1 latest

can we update esxi 5.0.0.0 to 5.1 latest by using v center update manager??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's difference between update/patch and upgrade. For an Upgrade (i.e. v5.0 to v5.1) you first need to upgrade vCenter Server as well as Update Manager to version 5.1, because vCenter Server 5.0 doesn't support ESXi 5.1 hosts. Once vCenter Server and Update Manager are both upgraded, you can create a "Host Upgrade" baseline to upgrade the hosts. Make sure your hardware is supported prior to upgrading.

Btw. always make sure vCenter Server and the hosts are running ina supported configuration (see VMware Product Interoperability Matrix)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

i think it's 5.0.0.0 u2 may be

my question  is why it was not updated to  5.1 u1 latest

How did you update whether using ISO image or through Web or Depot.

can we update esxi 5.0.0.0 to 5.1 latest by using v center update manager??

Yes you can update to 5.0 to 5.1 using UM

KB: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203275...

Wall of Sheep — How to upgrade ESXi 5.0 to 5.1 without errors using the command line.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's difference between update/patch and upgrade. For an Upgrade (i.e. v5.0 to v5.1) you first need to upgrade vCenter Server as well as Update Manager to version 5.1, because vCenter Server 5.0 doesn't support ESXi 5.1 hosts. Once vCenter Server and Update Manager are both upgraded, you can create a "Host Upgrade" baseline to upgrade the hosts. Make sure your hardware is supported prior to upgrading.

Btw. always make sure vCenter Server and the hosts are running ina supported configuration (see VMware Product Interoperability Matrix)

André

0 Kudos
prakash9339
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How did you update whether using ISO image or through Web or Depot.

update through web

0 Kudos