VMware Cloud Community
malabelle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Esxi password

Hi.

I'm in the process of upgrading from vc5.5 to vc6.

The upgrade asked me to regenerate the ssl cert of vc or the upgrade would not proceed.

I did.

When it rebooted, all the hosts were disconnected so I took a powercli script to reconnect them.

The problem is I have 7 hosts in one of my cluster that won't take any possible password. I use host profiles per cluster so each should have the same password.

The 7 hosts are still running production VMs.

Is there a way to reset the password? To access the host, anything?

If not, I will have to force close the blades, wait that HA restart the vm elsewhere and reinstall those hosts...

vExpert '16, VCAP-DCA, VCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ESXi 3.5, ESXi 4.x, ESXi 5.x and ESXi 6.0

Reinstalling the ESXi host is the only supported way to reset a password on ESXi. Any other method may lead to a host failure or an unsupported configuration due to the complex nature of the ESXi architecture. ESXi does not have a service console and as such traditional Linux methods of resetting a password, such as single-user mode.

Ref: https://communities.vmware.com/create-advanced-comment.jspa?id=2589349&draftID=235312

are these hosts AD domain joined, if so and if your AD have ESX Admins group, it would be automatically designated as Administrator role on your host.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ESXi 3.5, ESXi 4.x, ESXi 5.x and ESXi 6.0

Reinstalling the ESXi host is the only supported way to reset a password on ESXi. Any other method may lead to a host failure or an unsupported configuration due to the complex nature of the ESXi architecture. ESXi does not have a service console and as such traditional Linux methods of resetting a password, such as single-user mode.

Ref: https://communities.vmware.com/create-advanced-comment.jspa?id=2589349&draftID=235312

are these hosts AD domain joined, if so and if your AD have ESX Admins group, it would be automatically designated as Administrator role on your host.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos