VMware Cloud Community
ricky89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Esxi offline

Hi!

I am looking for esxii offline because I have no internet connection.
My questions are: Is esxi offline the same as online?
If one day I would like to buy a virtual router vROUTER from QNAP or CISCO SYSTEM cloud etc... can I get internet from there? Or do I have to buy Esxi online for it to work at all?
I would like to get some clarification on this.
Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What do you mean by "ESXi offline" and "online"?

If you're asking if you must connect an ESXi host to a network which has internet access, then no you don't, unless you want to manage it over the internet.

Whether the VMs you build on that ESXi host need internet access or not is a whole other matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ricky89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi! 

since wmware has esxi offline bundle what does it mean that it manages offline and creates virtual machines offline?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The Offline Bundle is an optional download, which one can use to e.g. manually update/patch an ESXi host, or to create customized installation images. This bundle has basically nothing to do with VMs.

From a networking perspective, ESXi can be used - regardless of the license - like any other system.

André

0 Kudos
ricky89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

understood, sorry for the misunderstanding 🙂

0 Kudos