VMware Cloud Community
Wisp625
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi not seing my virtual disk

I am new to esxi so please excuse my noob questions. I have a server I am using at my home to further my education into system administration. It is a dell R210 ii. It has a LSI logic 9260-4i raid card in it. I have 2 1TB drives that I put into raid 1. when I boot the server up it says 1tb virtual drive right under the 2 physical drives. When boot from USB to install EXSI ver 7.0.1 it only see's the USB that i am booting from. I am guessing that this is a driver issue?? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Wisp625 

Looks like only 6.x has drivers.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?keyword=12376&details=1&deviceCategory=io&...

The drivers listed are all "vmklinux" which are not supported by 7.x

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Wisp625
Contributor
Contributor

So I should try installing 6.x version of ESXI?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Wisp625 

Well it should work in terms of having a driver for that controller, and hopefully the rest of your hardware. But it depends on your use case for ESXi, and should be at least 6.5 to be on a version which is still supported and updated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

that is most likely a driver issue indeed, just use the last known certified version and test that, although 7.0 is the latest and greatest, still plenty to learn when you are new with 6.x

0 Kudos