VMware Cloud Community
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi not saving modification after reboot [Urgent]

Hi everyone,

I'm here cause of a problem to run my esxi host.

I modified things in the web client: I enabled passthough  on some devices, especially Nics.

Now when I reboot, I get errors such no compatible adapter found.

I followed instructions in this topic:EXSI 6.5 No compatible network adapter found

The problem is that after I modified the esx.conf file, and after reboot, all modifications are lost.

even SSH activated before accessing shell commands, it becomes disabled after reboot.

I have an HP Dl360 Gen8 with a custom Exsi istalled.

Someone have an Idea? I have all server and VMs down.

Thank you in advance.

18 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello aniros​,

If you have lost the settings and/or don't have a copy of the modified esx.conf then unfortunately you will have to reconfigure the settings that have been lost.

How were you making these configuration changes? If you are in doubt over changes being persisted then run this after making changes:

# /sbin/auto-backup.sh

How were you rebooting the host? If you are hard power-cycling it e.g. via iLO then this is a good way to lose recent configuration changes.

Are there any other indications that you might have issues with the boot device in question? (e.g. I/O errors)

Bob

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TheBobkin,

Thinx for replying.

So, how I made changes: after enabling SSH (Alt+F2), and login as root, I type: vi /ect/vmware/esx.conf.

I go to lines with vmware passthrough, and I changed them to vmkernel.

Then Esc, : , w ,q.

After that, F12 to reboot.

What do you think about that?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Install ESXi again.

Most likely you have enabled passtrough for the ESXi boot media or (removed by moderator) up the esx.conf.

I cant believe that a HPE 360Gen8 comes with a unsupportet NIC when using HPE custom ESXi 6.5 or so. I think you have enabled passtrough for the NIC which is used for ESXi Management as well.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Irix,

Thanks for replying.

I'm now trying to install the ESXI.

I hope that my VMs will not be affected.

I will give you a feedback about this.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm getting error:

System logs on non-persistent storage.

any idea?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello aniros​,

if you are making such changes via the CLI, ALWAYS run the backup script after to persist the changes.

Your VMs should be fine, just need to get the networking back and ensure the datastore(s) are mounted and accessible.

Bob

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If you have to specify a location for the scratch partition or configure a syslog. At first you can ignore the error. If your Datastores are back you can configure scratch partition.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, TheBobki,

Please, can you tell me when, where and how to this auto backup?

I'm new to SSH.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello aniros​,

Just case a case of executing the below via SSH/DCUI console as I said above (remove the '#' of course or it will do nothing):

# /sbin/auto-backup.sh

Bob

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bob,

So after quitting and saving the conf file (Esc>:>w>q), but this dosen't resolve the problem: All configs are restored as they were.

Any idea?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What I can't understand is why even ESXI shell and SSH become disabled after reboot.

I assume I modified passthough  on Nics, but why the machine cant save those options enabled??!!!

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

Please, I still have this problem of config file not saving modification (passthrough to vmkernel) in aim to get back network adapters.

I tried to make an upgrade by installing the host, but no way: I get the same error.

Is there any other way to change the conf file, or completely delete and rebuild?

The only thing I don't want to lost is the VMs.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello aniros​,

"I have to options: Upgrade (I'm getting error), or a new install.

For this 2nd option, I have a message that the disk will be repartonned: Does it means old VMs will be deleted ??"

When you are re-installing ESXi you should be selecting the same device you installed on previously - the only risk of dataloss in this case is if you were using durable storage for boot/install (e.g. HDD/SSD) and were actively using the auto-created VMFS volume for storing VMs (you shouldn't do this). I'm not actually sure if it wipes that VMFS partition on re-install, my guess is that it would.

So, provided you were not storing VMs on the boot device VMFS partition (e.g. that all your VMs are stored on another VMFS/NFS datastore), re-installing in the original location should be fine.

"Is there any other way to change the conf file, or completely delete and rebuild?"

Sorry, but it is still unclear where exactly this is going wrong - please confirm that after modifying esx.conf, you are using cat/less to validate that what you changed is there and then run the backup.sh as said above. If this still won't work then try re-install.

Bob

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bob,

I didn't understand your installation schema.

I have a raid with 4 SSD in my server. I installed ESXi on this. It prepares itself partitions.

After that I creates datastores on the left space. on those datastores I created my VMS.

That's correct as installation?

Now for saving conf: Once modification done, i type Esc>:>w>q

then the command /sbin/auto-backup.sh

then enter

then exit

And I reboot.

Is that what should I do?

Thank you for patience and help.

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I succeeded finally to resolve this problem by using a live Kalinux CD, and following this really helpful post How to disable ESXi Passthrough my findings.

Now; I'm asking one question: In aim to avoid this situation in the future, I have 1 raid 5 with 4 SSDs. How can I install ESXi with the ability to, in case of a problem, make a new clean install without affecting existing VMs?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How can I install ESXi with the ability to, in case of a problem, make a new clean install without affecting existing VMs?

Keep your ESXi installation disk separate from your VM datastore.

Many people install ESXi to a USB flash drive or SD card: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

When you create the R5 dont assign all space to it. Just reduce the number and create a first small LUN just for the ESXi OS. Than create a 2nd. one with all the rest of the space. I think HPE and Dell with the PERC labeld these Virtual Disks (have nothing to do with ESX/VM/VMDK).  You can have multiple Virtual Disks within one Diskgroup. There is one drawback... you cant increase a Diskgroup when there are more than one Virtual Disk on it.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
aniros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I think that installing the ESXi on SD card or USB will be more secure in case of raid crashes.

To solve the problem of SD crash risk, I will duplicate install in a USB with the same config (I'm not changing configs everyday).

So if SD can't boot the USB will. That will give me sufficient time to replace the SD by a new one.

I think that is a "good" scenario.

What do you think.

0 Kudos