ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Esxi installation on USB pen drive.

Posted Nov 24, 2011 06:24 AM

Hi all,

I have one query about esxi installation.

I have desktop machine with AMD processor, 2 GB ram with Ubunut linux.

Now I dont wnat to disturb this setup and want to install Esxi.  [ Free version for 60 days. ]

Is it possible. If yes, can anyone pl guide me how?

Or not then, do I require to use hard disk for installation? If yes, then how can I proceed ?

In any case I want to use esxi on my desktop machine, can I ?

Best Regards,

Ashish Barot.

• 2.  RE: Esxi installation on USB pen drive.

Posted Nov 24, 2011 06:35 AM

You could install ESXi to a USB flash device and then access iSCSI or NFS storage on another host.   You won't be able to create a local datastore without another hard drive or without formatting the existing one.

ESXi provides a pretty minimal console interface and you can't interact with VMs running on the host directly at the console.  If that's a requirement for you then you might want to look at VMware Player, Workstation or Server.

• 3.  RE: Esxi installation on USB pen drive.

Posted Nov 24, 2011 06:40 AM

Thanks Dave for quick reply.

One more query.

So in my current scenario, if I create one NFS share on running Ubuntu linux, and then try to access it via Esxi, does it work?

And if yes, then can I create VM on it? I have 2GB ram only on desktop.

Regards,

Ashish Barot.

• 4.  RE: Esxi installation on USB pen drive.

Posted Nov 24, 2011 06:46 AM

ESXi will reserve some overhead, but you should be OK with 1 or 2 smaller VMs.  I haven't tried using NFS on ubuntu for ESXi myself, but I have seen some references to it and it should work OK for you.

• 5.  RE: Esxi installation on USB pen drive.

Posted Nov 26, 2011 06:20 AM

A Linux NFS server can work as a datastore (remember to use NFS3 over TCP and no_root_squash option).

But if you plan to user for a production environment please confider that it is a potential big single point of failure.

• 6.  RE: Esxi installation on USB pen drive.

Posted Nov 24, 2011 06:44 AM

Is your machine has a option of boot from USB.

Then you can try this insert a USB flash supported by VMware refer the below link for preparing usb flash drive for esxi installation.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.install.doc_50/GUID-33C3E7D5-20D0-4F84-B2E3-5CD33D32EAA8.html

Once you have done with the formating.

burn the ESXI installable on a cr-rom and boot with the cd and proceed installation.

or

Easy and good to use.

download vmware workstation for linux - i am not sure if that support ubuntu linux.

create a virtual machine install esxi and start you testing,

Award point for the helpful and correct answer by clicking the below tab :smileyhappy: