VMware Cloud Community
xfzhou
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi disconnects and reconnect in vcenter Every once in a while

My Esxi disconnects from vcenter every once in a while and reconnects itself after a while, sometimes several times an hour, sometimes once a few hours. I can't find out what the reason is!!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Check from Console perspective I mean iLO or iDRAC for Hardware issues related to RAM and CPU. Check if iLO and BIOS have the latest version. 

Do you have purple screen maybe? Also possible some network issues 

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Greetings,

this can have a lot of different reasons, and without more details no one will be able to help.

- Do the hosts crash/reboot when disconnecting/reconnecting? Check their uptime.

- How long does it take a host to re-connect after a disconnect?

- What is the version of vCenter and the hosts?

Regarding the error log with vmware-usbarbitrator:

- Do you have any USB devices connected to the host and mapped to VMs?

Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
xfzhou
Contributor
Contributor

There is no purple screen, and after disconnecting from vcenter, ping is always on
0 Kudos
xfzhou
Contributor
Contributor

The reconnection time is not fixed, sometimes it can be connected immediately after disconnection, and sometimes it will be connected in more than half an hour; Esxi did not reboot; After disconnecting from vcenter, ping IP is always on; There is no USB device.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me this sounds like a duplicate IP address issue.
Did you already check whether the ESXi host's IP address is used elsewhere too?

André

jvansickler
Contributor
Contributor

I'm with André.

You can use "arp -a ip_of_esxi_host" to see what the MAC address is of the responding host.

Try it when it's working normally to see what it should be, and try it again when the host is disconnected.  Chances are that the MAC addresses may not match.  Then the hunt is on for the other host utilizing the same IP address.

0 Kudos
xfzhou
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to everyone, I temporarily solved the problem by restarting Esxi, I restarted the server over the weekend, so far the failure has not reappeared, I will continue to observe.
0 Kudos