VMware Cloud Community
ClassicYurie
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi and running games in my VM's

Hello,

First of all I am a complete noob when it comes to esxi and virtualisation for that matter, so my apologies in advance for dumb questions or simply not understanding your response.

That being said, here is the situation and my problem:

Original setup:

Home PC, running i7-8700 - 16gb Ram - Gtx 1080 TI

Running 4 VM's using VMware Workstation

Each VM runs World of Warcraft Classic @ 60fps

This uses 80% CPU and Ram

Since I understood VMware Workstation doesn't passthrough my GPU, I figured I was running it on just CPU/Ram and my system's CPU and Ram were capped out to run more VM's.

The plan:

Rent a dedicated server with a lot more cpu power and ram, run my VM's through Esxi:

Nocix server rental:

Dual Xeon E5-2670 with 16 Cores / threads

96gb Ram

Dual 480gb SSD

So I created a win10 pro VM in Esxi, dedicated 2 cores and 4gb Ram to it, installed VMware Tools, enabled 3d acceleration, 128mb Video Memory and 2gb 3D Memory, which seems to be the maximum esxi allows.

The problem:

My game runs at max 3 fps

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect to be able to actually game on these vm's, but I at least need to be able to move ingame and with 3fps this doesn't work at all.

I could just be dumb and expected this to work, merely of the fact that I think my VM's on Home PC don't use my gpu, while they actually do?

Or I'm missing some settings / drivers / anything else in my VM on Esxi that I do have on my Home PC VM's.

Is there any way to improve the fps at all or just not possible?

And if not possible, is there a way to rent a dedicated server with a GPU that supports multiple vm's to use it or am I better of just buying better hardware?

0 Kudos
0 Replies