VMware Cloud Community
nicklavender
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi Issue - Multiple vmdk files, no snap shots & provisioned>actual space

Hi Guys,

I have 2 virtual machines (ESXi v5.0) and each was initially assigned 750gb of a 1.8tb hdd/array. The server has been re-built and the machines re-imported twice.

Upon converting large sized files (4gb each) I have noticed that the the datastore has gone from having 300gb free to only 5gb, when it should have used space previously assigned to the original vm. After all, there is still 100gb free on c: but the vm size is stated as 900gb?

I'll let the pics below do the talking and hopefully someone can advise a fix. The alternative is to copy 1TB of data to a local workstation which will take some time, rebuild the box and then return transfer.

Snapshot Manager shows no snapshots listed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vLarus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Nick,

you have a case of a "hidden" snapshot.

Some point in time you had snapshots on that machine, be it after a backup program or a manual snapshot creation.

This happens when snapshots is the process of being deleted, it fails, but the Snapshot manager clear its list.

Both machines have at least 150 GB of snapshots.

The files named -0000001.vmdk are snapshots.

You will need to consolidate the snapshot, and as you are running vSphere 5.0 you can select consolidate from the same drop down menu as the Snapshot Manager is selected.

Other ways to consolidate snapshots:

1. First try creating a snapshot, then deleteing it by selecting "Delete  all". Sometimes that works and it removes the "hidden" snapshot as well. Note  that you have at least 100 GB of snapshots and it could take a lot of time to  delete.  If you lose connection to the ESXi host in the prpcess try  restarting the MGMT agents (see method below).
2. Try turning off the VM, create a snapshot, and then select Delete all.  This will at least make sure that the delta file while you are deleting the  snapshot, doesn't get bigger.
3. If this doesn't work you should try to move the VM to a empty datastore  and try to remove it again with "Delete all".
4. You can also clone the VM to another datastore. That will always  consolidate snapshots.
Here is the kb how to delete snapshots in the ESX console. Please make sure  to try the other procedures before using this method.
Heres a way to determine if a VM has snapshot.
And if your ESXi hosts lose the connection to the vCenter it could help to  restart the Management agents.
vmice.net
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved from General Issues to VMware ESXi 5.

0 Kudos
maneltbc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.
In my case, step 3 have deleted hidden snapshots in various virtual machines.
Thank you for this guide.

0 Kudos