VMware Cloud Community
hongning123
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 7.0 Win 11 PC not meet requirements

Need to install a Win 11 VM ,what is needed to install WIn 11 on Esxi 7.0

I keep getting message, when I start installing

PC does not meet requirements

We have a Dell R540 and I know it has a TPM 2.0 module, what do I need to do when creating the VM?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to add the registry entry to bypass the check. On a fresh install you might have to install Windows 10,

add this registry entry, then do the upgrade.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77...

--Alan--

0 Kudos
hongning123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying pretty much appreciated.

However what if if we want to have Win11  do the TPM checked.  We bought the server to consider the requirement.  What do I need to do to this.  I already confirmed with Dell that the TPM is enabled and working, but what needs to be done in Esxi side?

Thanks

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Add the vTPM to your UEFI and secure boot enabled VM prior to the fresh Win11 install.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
hongning123
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I enabled TPM is the server and enabled Secure Boot, how do I see if that enabled in the ESXI?  And how do you add vTPM to the ESXI host?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The phys. TPM doesnt matter.  vSphere 6.7 supports vTPM together with a external KMS and 7.02 comes with a Native Key provider one. 

vCenter->Configure->Security  and than add Native Provider.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
hongning123
Contributor
Contributor

okay what if we want to use the physical TPM, shouldn't it be automatically detected by Windows 11 VM?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Not possible. The real TPM is for the Host and a vTPM for a VM. You add a vTPM by adding a new Device from type Trusted Platform Module to a VM.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
hongning123
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I am not familiar with this topic, but can you add a vTPM to just the free ESXI version.  If yes can anyone send me a link on how to do it.  Cant seem to find any info on Esxi.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I think its a vCenter feature.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Joerg,

I am using latest version of vCenter and ESXi but could not find what devices to add the vTPM as per you mentioned... What is the vTPM device classified as?

Thank you

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You have to add a Key provider first.  On vCenter level -> Configuration -> Security -> Key Provider -> Add

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

and after adding a key provider you are able to add a vTPM to a VM.

IRIX201110141_0-1633994072753.png

Regards,
Joerg

alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would just like to note that my earlier registryr suggestion worked on my physicals, most of which I assume had TPM 1.2. However, when I went to upgrade my Windows 10 VM, it did't work. I not only had to enable the Native Key Provider and upgrade my Hardware version to the latest (I think I was on 17 and upgraded to 19), I also had to run mbr2gpt /convert /allowFullOS to convert my MBR to GPT and change the VM options/boot from BIOS to EFI and also do hardware/add the Trusted Platform Module. Then I was able to run the Windows 11 upgrade successfully, no registry changes needed. Oh, one last note. You can't do the hardware/add Trusted Platform Module if you have any snapshots on the VM.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
AlexAckerman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As many have stated, the requirements are outlined on both the VMware and Microsoft documentation.  I recently published a blog entry that will walk you through the setup on a vSphere 7.0 system (with screenshots).  If you like it, please like and share!

https://www.vmhomelab.org/2021/10/prepare-homelab-for-windows-11-desktops/

Thanks!

Ack

Tags (1)
jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

I have added native key, back it up OK

Went ahead and create new VM, attached vTPM --> did not work, it said it required TPM v.2

I am using latest vCenter and latest Dell image ESXi (just upgrade yesterday)

Any idea?

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you created the VM did you choose the latest hardware version 19 ?

--Alan--

jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Alan,

Yes, it is version 19 as per the note

"Compatibility: ESXi 7.0 U2 and later (VM version 19)"

Anyway, I have deleted the VM and start over again. It is now working!

Thank you

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome. Sorry I just got to the email, but yea, version 19 is the 7.0 U2 release. U3 still uses version 19 as well.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
MZimbaro
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to see all the people that have VSphere installed got it working.  What about the original question of installing Windows 11 directly on an ESXi 7 host (No VSphere).  This is the free version of ESXi for those of you who are not familiar.  Can a vTPM be created and installed, or should we be looking at something like Hyper-V instead?

0 Kudos