VMware Cloud Community
hp007007
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 7.0 Update 3 VM memory allocation

Hello,

I have recently started using ESXI free version.

I have installed window10 32bit VM I would like to  increase the RAM from 4gb to 8 or 16 gb but it doesnt allow me.

Is there some setting for the host that I am missing to set prior to the VM settings?

Thanks you help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Better that your thread is in the area for vSphere Hypervisor, rather than an area for the VMware Learning Platform which the topic doesn't relate to.

I've reported your thread, a moderator should now move it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

First of all, you will never be able to use more than 4 GB of ram on a 32-bit Windows 10 system, as indicated here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/memory/memory-limits-for-windows-releases?redirectedf...

are you adding memory to VM on or off?
is it a new VM or was it previously created with VMware Workstation?

I advise you to install a 64-bit Windows 10 in order to take advantage of more than 4 GB of ram

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Quickdraw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VM needs to be shutdown before you can adjust the resources. You can enable "hot add" to both CPU and RAM that will allow you to change those settings while the VM is powered on. The VM needs to be off first to set that as well. Edit settings, expand memory, click the HOT ADD check box, power on VM. 

0 Kudos