VMware Cloud Community
fernandomm2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Esxi 6: Sending emails when RAID fails without vCenter?

Hi,

Is it possible to send emails when there is a RAID in Esxi without using vCenter?

I have a single Esxi server and I'm trying to monitor it somehow.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WhiskyTangoFoxt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What brand and model of server is it? Our newer Dell PowerEdge servers iDRAC cards have very good alerting via email and snmp for everything hardware related, including storage events.

Our older Dell Poweredge servers had a client vib installed to a standalone ESXi host that talked to our OpenManage Essentials box which took care of the alerting.

Maybe your server has something comparable that can handle alerting in place of VCenter?

B

0 Kudos
fernandomm2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The brand is Supermicro. Unfortunately the IPMI doesn't seem to have any type of monitoring for RAID cards.

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Depends on which raid-controller you have. For all LSI/Avago models (incl. those re-branded) you can use command-line tool StorCLI or older MegaCLI (you can find vib/offline-bundle on lsi/avago web). All you need is cron to periodically check raid-arrays and a little shell-scripting...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos