VMware Cloud Community
SwissBZA
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 6.7 vswitch - Problem wenn physisches Netzwerkkabel gezogen wird / Problem if physical Networkconnection is broken

Hallo liebe Community,

ich bin noch ganz neu im Theme Vmware und Esxi. Ich habe da ein kleines Problemchen. Ich weiss leider nicht wie ich wirklich nach dem Problem suchen soll/kann. Ich habe eine Virtuelle Maschine die per vSwitch an eine Portgruppe und per physischem Netzwerk an einem anderen Netzwerk hängt. Wenn ich nun das Netzwerkkabel ziehe, dann ist die Verbindung zum externen Netzwerk getrennt. Die virtuelle Maschine erkennt auch, dass das Netzwerk getrennt wurde, allerdings bleibt die virtelle Netzwerkkarte aktiv, da Sie ja die Verbindung zur vSwitch hat. Nun meine Frage: Ist es möglich die vSwitch so einzustellen, dass bei gezogenem Netzwerkkabel auch die Netzwerkkarte der virtuellen Maschine down geht? Kann man bei Esxi ein virtuelles Netzwerk direkt an eine physische Netzwerkkarte anhängen? Vielen Dank schon mal vorab fürs Lesen und für eine Antwort wäre ich sehr Dankbar.

Grüße SB

Hello community,

sorry for the terrible english. I'm new in the Vmware and Esxi. I don't know how should I search for this Problem. I have an virtual maschine the virtual network is connected to an vswitch and a portgroup and then to the physical device. If the physical Network is broken the virtual maschine recognize that the connection is down to the physical network. The virtual networkcard is still active because th virtual connection to the vswitch is ok. Now my question: is it possible setting the vswitch so that the virtual network from the maschine is going down also? Is is possible setting the Esxi to add a virtual network directly to an physical network without vswitch ? Thanks for reading my terrible english. I say thanks for an answer.

Greets CB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine.

is it possible setting the vswitch so that the virtual network from the maschine is going down also?

Do you want your VM to be powered off if there is no network connectivity? yes it can be done with the host isolation options on the vSphere HA settings on the cluster.
Is is possible setting the Esxi to add a virtual network directly to an physical network without vswitch ? No

Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey SwissBZA​,

There is a way to configure a physical NIC passthrough directly to the VM bypassing the vSwitch. This feature ir called DirectPath I/O. Basically it does a passthrought of a physical PCI device from the ESXi directly to the VM but however it has bunch of requirements and limitiations and this should only be used for VMs that are extremely sensitive to network latency.

Her is a video detailing how to configure it and a description of the feature: VMware vSphere: Advanced Networking - Configuring VMDirectPath I/O

However there are some blogs that mentions that the VMXNET3 adapter of the VM could be almost similar regarding throughput and latency.

Now focusing on your query i do not understand why do you want the VM to be notified about a physical network device going down. Maybe if you point us to the necessity we can give you a proper solution.

SwissBZA
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the Answers. I have running a BSD Linux System on the VM and there running CARP to check an other systemwith BSD also on an Vmware Esxi.

Wenn the Networkcable disconnect both BSD Systems going to MASTER. If the Networkconnection on the VM is going down also then the BSD-system is going in

Fail-Mode. 

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

What you are saying sounds more like a network redundancy issue to me, do you have redundancy on your nics and switches?

0 Kudos