VMware Cloud Community
bellocarico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Esxi 6.5 standalone becomes network unreachable but it's till up and running

Well I admit this is something that has been bothering me for a while.

I have a Windows 10 VM that occasionally transfers lots of data onto another VM (Linux +SAMBA) on the same standalone ESXi 6.5 host.

The story goes that all of a sudden I get disconnected via RDP (or any other remote software I might use), this is not a Windows issue, the whole host gets disconnected from the network and the host + any VM running on it becomes unreachable. My only option is to log into the KVM and via the console trigger an ESXi restart.

I have spent weeks trying to troubleshoot this, I initially blames the network driver (igbn) which I've upgraded to the latest version with no luck.

When the host is network unreachable this is what I see via ALT+F12 I did change power policy so only the last two lines are relevant

bellocarico_0-1640840800688.png

Syslog:

bellocarico_1-1640840897477.png

Vmkernel:

bellocarico_2-1640840931541.png

Management host:

bellocarico_3-1640840993248.png

Can anybody please shed some light on what might be going on here and what I could attempt to fix this annoying issue?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
It seems that the Intel 82576 card has had quite a few problems on different servers (brands) both in version 6.5 and 6.7 which include driver issues (version 5.X) and firmware levels lower than 1.9 (your NIC has firmware 1.5).
You could try with an older 4.X driver.
Attached link

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-INTEL-IGB-42168&product...

You could also try setting the speed on the card and on the switch port to 1GB, instead of auto.
The server manufacturer (Supermicro) should provide a utility to update the Firmware including the network cards.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

First step here is to get the thread in the correct area, I’ve reported the thread so a moderator should move it for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bellocarico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Admittedly I couldn't find the right place where to post... glad this is now in the right place.

Can I please get some help in troubleshooting this issue now?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMTN is a user community forum, it's now down to forum members to offer help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
You need to know the following details:
The build of version 6.5 you are using.
The type, model and brand of the server (if it is a brand like Lenovo, HPE, Dell and more).
The type and model of the Ethernet card
The firmware and driver version of the ethernet card you are using.

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
bellocarico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, thanks for the answer. Here the details requested:

- Software:

Standalone ESXi: 6.5.0 Update 3 (Build 18678235)

- Custom build:

Manufacturer: Supermicr
Model: H8DG6/H8DGi
CPU: 32 CPUs x AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6380
Memory: 63.98 GB 

- NIC:  

[root@BLACK:~] esxcli network nic list
Name    PCI Device    Driver  Admin Status  Link Status  Speed  Duplex  MAC Address         MTU  Description
------  ------------  ------  ------------  -----------  -----  ------  -----------------  ----  --------------------------------------------------
vmnic0  0000:02:00.0  igb     Up            Up            1000  Full    00:25:90:dc:92:e8  1500  Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection
vmnic1  0000:02:00.1  igb     Up            Down             0  Half    00:25:90:dc:92:e9  1500  Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection
[root@BLACK:~] esxcli network nic get -n vmnic0
   Advertised Auto Negotiation: true
   Advertised Link Modes: 10BaseT/Half, 10BaseT/Full, 100BaseT/Half, 100BaseT/Full, 1000BaseT/Full
   Auto Negotiation: true
   Cable Type: Twisted Pair
   Current Message Level: 7
   Driver Info:
         Bus Info: 0000:02:00.0
         Driver: igb
         Firmware Version: 1.5.3
         Version: 5.3.2
   Link Detected: true
   Link Status: Up
   Name: vmnic0
   PHYAddress: 1
   Pause Autonegotiate: true
   Pause RX: true
   Pause TX: true
   Supported Ports: TP
   Supports Auto Negotiation: true
   Supports Pause: true
   Supports Wakeon: true
   Transceiver: internal
   Virtual Address: 00:50:56:51:46:81
   Wakeon: MagicPacket(tm)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
It seems that the Intel 82576 card has had quite a few problems on different servers (brands) both in version 6.5 and 6.7 which include driver issues (version 5.X) and firmware levels lower than 1.9 (your NIC has firmware 1.5).
You could try with an older 4.X driver.
Attached link

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-INTEL-IGB-42168&product...

You could also try setting the speed on the card and on the switch port to 1GB, instead of auto.
The server manufacturer (Supermicro) should provide a utility to update the Firmware including the network cards.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
bellocarico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok thanks.

I did perform my searches as well and found this interesting link:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=12667

Interesting because 5.3.2 is NOT a driver VMware would recommend for ESXi 6.5. I'm really interested to know how this version ended up in my system?

Any ways, before finding the above link I had discovered and downloaded the following three drivers:

[root@BLACK:/vmfs/volumes/59300515-a5ee2b49-81a2-00e081c9ed1e/ssh/igb] ls -la *.vib
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         98012 Jul 24  2013 net-igb-4.2.16.8-1OEM.550.0.0.1198611.x86_64.vib
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        104192 Jun 29  2016 net-igb-5.3.2-99.x86_64.vib
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        118534 Mar 26  2017 net-igb_5.3.3-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585.vib

5.3.2 is the same as currently installed so I have downloaded as a backup solution only.

5.3.3 tried but fails like 5.3.2 did so no luck.

4.2.16.8 though... seems to be a good one! I've loaded the server with lots of IO and where I would have expected it to become network unreachable within 5 min I'm here a good 60 min afterwards and it's still there responding over the network!

btw the physical switch where the server is connected is unmanaged so I've forges 1Gbps as suggested at vSwitch level internally.

I would be very keen to upgrade the firmware of these cards but there's no reference what so ever on the SuperMicro Internet site. The only firmwares available are the BIOS and IPMI which are already at the latest version.

https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/SR56x0/H8DG6-F.cfm

0 Kudos