VMware Cloud Community
orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Esxi 6.5 can't find datastorage IBM DS3400

Hello all. I have to use old model IBM ds3400 storage.

I installed esxi 6.5 custom ISO lenova edition on IBM x3650M2 server (connected to above storage model via RAID). Then I tried to add a datastorage it has nothing to show. But when I installed windows server on that server it connects to the storage.

So how can I solve that problem? Sould I create custom esxi installation with it or something else? Please help me guys.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe the IBM DS3400 is a device that we call fake raid ?
The fact that Windows sees it suggests that.
ESXi does not work with fake raids.

Ulli

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Find out what controller is in the system, then look here: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
What exactly what build of version 6.5 do you have installed?

What firmware level does the storage DS3400 have?

What kind of connection do you have between the ESXi host and the DS3400 Fibre channel, SAS, ISCSI ?

Did you upgrade the firmware of the IBM X3650M2?

What type and model of HBA do you have on the IBM server?.

What driver and firmware does this HBA have?

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=san&productid=1214&vcl=true

e_espinel_0-1652123996574.png

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@e_espinel wrote:

Hello.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=san&productid=1214&vcl=true

e_espinel_0-1652123996574.png

Above link is works fine but I couldn't find the download driver of this.

build of version 6.5 - : VMware-ESXi-6.5.0.update03-16576891-LNV-20200902

My storage DS3400 of firmware level is very first, it didn't upgraded. Model is: Type 1726-HC4 

Connection between the ESXi host and the DS3400 is Fibre channel.

I didn't upgrade the firmware of the IBM X3650M2. Because windows server is works fine with DS3400 storage. So I taught firmware doesn't need. Am I wrong? 

What type and model of HBA do you have on the IBM server?. Type 1726-HC4  

What driver and firmware does this HBA have?. 

Actually I don't how I check the firmware, I just checked the driver from windows driver device manager and found:

IBM Universal Xport SCSI DISK device,

LSI adapter, SAS 3000 series,8-port with 1068E -StorPort

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

you must install the following management software on a workstation (preferably on a windows server, but it can work on a windows 😎

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ibm-ds3000-storage-manager-v10353540-microsoft-windows-server-2003...

You must know the management IP of the DS3400, you must also have ethernet cables on port1 of each DS3400 controller.
When you can enter the storage management you will know what firmware the device has and you will be able to manage it.

attached link on how to use Storage Manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qBoY8lpkg

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@e_espinel wrote:

Hello.

you must install the following management software on a workstation (preferably on a windows server, but it can work on a windows 😎

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ibm-ds3000-storage-manager-v10353540-microsoft-windows-server-2003...

You must know the management IP of the DS3400, you must also have ethernet cables on port1 of each DS3400 controller.
When you can enter the storage management you will know what firmware the device has and you will be able to manage it.

attached link on how to use Storage Manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qBoY8lpkg

I installed the DS storage manager 10 and succesfully hosted to my server and checked the firmware: Current firmware version: PkgInfo 07.35.41.02.

I think I need to install the suitable driver to esxi host, I can install VIB driver to my host if I got the driver. 

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You must update the stroage firmware to 7.84 or 7.86 depending on the driver you are using, this is indicated in the VMware compatibility matrix for the connection with ESXi 6.5 U3.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

A IBM DS3400 is an old storage with FC, SAS or iSCSI frontend ports similar to old Dell Powervault MD3xx0, HPE MSA and countless other. You haven't told us which kind of Frontend technology your DS have.

The HBA from your Hosts needs to register at the Array to get access to the later configured volumes. Think of a ACL.  Those kind of storages doesnt come with inbuild Managemanent and in most cases an external Software is needed.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@e_espinel wrote:

Hello.
You must update the stroage firmware to 7.84 or 7.86 depending on the driver you are using, this is indicated in the VMware compatibility matrix for the connection with ESXi 6.5 U3.

@e_espinel Thanks for your support. But I didn't find 7.84 or 7.86 kind of IBM storage firmware from official site. Where can I download the firmware? Could you provide me link?

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Your DS3400 is very, very old and almost all information about it is being removed from the internet.
My apologies, but in the VMware compatibility matrix that is online (you can see in the link I attached in the previous post). There is a serious error when indicating that the DS3400 supports Firmware 7.84 or 7.86 (these firmware are of DS3500) and that with those Firmware supports versions 7.X and 6.X of VMware vSphere.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos