VMware Cloud Community
Starman20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 5.0 Performance issues with legacy USB2 USB Hard drives

Hello!

I’ve completed my Vsphere 5.0 upgrade in my small business essentials plus environment backed by a Dell MD3200&MD1200 SAN.

Everything is working perfectly with the exception of my legacy USB2 drives that I use for backup. I use standard WD USB 2-3 TB drives in bulk.

I've experienced this issue on a few Esxi servers now.

My write time next exceeds about 5.8 mb/sec in the past I would easily see 30 mb/sec+

I've gone through the motions of disconnecting, reloading the VM USB controller (original not the new USB 3.0 driver version that tells us it’s not supported in Win2008R2 ug).

This is causing me a lot of grief with backups. Has anyone else experienced this?

(its worse on my home stand alone esxi which is my media server and now wont stream DVD quality movies due to this 5.8 mb/sec limit).

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Greets,

I think you'd be better off making those external USB drives eSATA. If you can find a compatible controller eSATA card that will work and an empty external eSATA case you'll be in business.

For the record I made this work with ESX 4.1 a while back with a Sil eSata card. I don't remember the model, sorry.

The better way to go would be an iSCSI SAN unit like IOmega IX4-200d cloud edition. I run that here.

Regards,

0 Kudos