VMware Cloud Community
loubu01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Esxi 4.1 installation stuck on Install screen

Hi

I am trying to install ESXi 4.1.0 on a Mustek Expression TW7a laptop. It loads all the drivers until it gets to the screen to select:

(R) to repair, (ESC) to cancel, (ENTER) to Install.

No matter what option I choose. it stays stuck in this screen.

I currently have a dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7 running on the laptop.

I am using a cd burnt from the esxi 4.1.0 iso that I downloaded. I have tried burning a second cd, but ended up with thesame result.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could try installing ESXi inside Windows 7 by installing VMware Workstation 7.x - this option will cost you some $ though.

ESXi is quite particular about the hardware that it will install / run on - so you are probably out of luck installing it on your laptop.

The road that I took was to research components that would work with ESXi and built a "cheap" ESXi whitebox: http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

You will find that network and storage adapters are your main areas of contention - I had to buy Intel Nics and a Promise 300 SATA controller to ESXi to install on my motherboard - you can also consult the ESXi Hardware Compatability List (HCL) on the VMware website ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could try installing ESXi inside Windows 7 by installing VMware Workstation 7.x - this option will cost you some $ though.

ESXi is quite particular about the hardware that it will install / run on - so you are probably out of luck installing it on your laptop.

The road that I took was to research components that would work with ESXi and built a "cheap" ESXi whitebox: http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

You will find that network and storage adapters are your main areas of contention - I had to buy Intel Nics and a Promise 300 SATA controller to ESXi to install on my motherboard - you can also consult the ESXi Hardware Compatability List (HCL) on the VMware website ...

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Probably the ESXi is not able to read the hardware information correctly. It is much recommended to use this on the Vmware workstation 7.x on Windows 7 which will also tell you if the CD iso image is correct or burnt correctly.

You can download free evaluation version of Workstation 7.x from vmware.com. As mikelane suggested you will need to check the hardware also, it should be VT enabled and it will work just fine.

Please consider awarding points for 'Correct' or 'Helpful' answer.

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
loubu01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanx.

I successfully installed on some other hardware. Please close.

0 Kudos