VMware Cloud Community
vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Esxi 4.1 and ghettoVCB cloning

Hello everybody, I have a new question today 🙂 and it's about cloning vms with ghetto script; is there any problem cloning a vm on Esxi4.1 and put the clone running on the same host? My concerns are about the resources id of the VM, is the clone have the same resource id of the original vm? can the resources make any sort of conflict with the original vm?

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance for any help

Giacomo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

The Clone Virtual Machine Wizard automatically creates a new MAC address and other unique identifiers for the duplicate virtual machine.

Refer to --> http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_clone_overview.html.

I think clonning VM with ghetto script is not officially supported by VMware.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

bump

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

The Clone Virtual Machine Wizard automatically creates a new MAC address and other unique identifiers for the duplicate virtual machine.

Refer to --> http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_clone_overview.html.

I think clonning VM with ghetto script is not officially supported by VMware.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh thanks man i just bumped this post after 1 month and u gave me a very good answer with a reference, I just have another question, how can I clone virtual machines "officialy"  ? I use esxi 4.1 and the vsphere, I chose the ghetto script because  because u can clone machines while they are running.

Any tips for me?

Thanks in advance

Giacomo

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can easily clone the virtual machine while it is power on.

For VMware VirtualCenter 2.5 Update-2 and later, a live clone option is available. You may proceed with the virtual machine either powered on or off. Power it down to reduce snapshot storage requirements and ensure all disk transactions are committed to the clone. Live clones can be expected to result in a slightly out-of-date destination virtual machine, where data recorded (to snapshot delta disks, during the clone operation) is not committed to the destination copy.

Refer to --> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102786...

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

oh thanks, that's nice but virtual center is not free right?

U maybe know if I can achieve the cloning using the vmware API ?

thanks

Giacomo

0 Kudos