VMware Cloud Community
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Esxcli "Connection error"

I have been running a script in "local.sh" on some of our hosts that does several things, amongst which is a task to bring a host out of maintenance mode.

We have been using this script for some years, starting at a time when we were using vSphere 6.5.

We are now on 6.7u2 and on one of our systems the script has started playing up.

Especially this bit:

MaintenanceModeStatus=$(esxcli system maintenanceMode get)

case $MaintenanceModeStatus in

Enabled)

logger -s "AUTO-START : Exiting Maintenance Mode"

vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_exit

if [ $? -ne 0 ]

then

logger -s "AUTO-START : Maintenance Mode exit failed"

fi

;;

Disabled)

logger -s "AUTO-START : Already out of Maintenance Mode"

;;

*)

logger -s "AUTO-START : Invalid MaintenanceMode status - $MaintenanceModeStatus"

esac

We have started seeing log entries for an "Invalid MaintenanceMode status" appearing for both hosts that use the script on one of the systems.

$MaintenanceModeStatus is coming back as "Connection error".

Putting a sleep delay before this section of the script seems to help, but we would like to understand why.

When "local.sh" is run, is possibly the case that not all services in VCSA are fully ready, and calls to get information may come back invalid, empty or unexpected values?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi

Try the localcli command instead of esxcli and give back the result

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

I might try that.

I also going to propose that we put a test script in local.sh that makes lots of maintenance mode status requests in a tight loop and logs the results. Then we hopefully baseline the readiness time of the host and put either a fixed delay or alternatively  change the request to loop until the response is either "Enabled" or "Disabled" as we expect. In the latter case though I am not sure if it would be prudent to put a limit on the loop, i.e. would we need to cover of the possibility that we don't ever get the expected responses?

I suppose in reality we could remove the check altogether, and simply request a maintenance mode exit whenever the script runs. That assumes that the request can't suffer the same "Connection error" of course.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

would we need to cover of the possibility that we don't ever get the expected responses?

Maybe somehow ...

Please test two ways:

1.Try this instead of esxcli: vimsh -n -e /hostsvc/maintenance_mode_exit (vim-cmd has only enter option not exit)

2. Run other esxcli / localcli system syntax (instead of maintenanceMode) when the host is in maintenanceMode and check their operations

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Not really keen to go the "localcli" route. But will try it if permitted to do so.

I suspect at the moment that the issue I am seeing is simply to do with timing. The script is trying to do things before the host is really ready. All this worked flawlessly under ESXi 6.5 for nearly two years. ESXi 6.7 definitely behaves differently in subtle ways.

Finally vim-cmd most definitely does have an exit maintenance mode, I use it quite often:

Copied from SSH session just now:

[root@MollESXi:~] vim-cmd hostsvc/

Commands available under hostsvc/:

advopt/                   enable_ssh                refresh_firewall         

autostartmanager/         firewall_disable_ruleset  refresh_services         

datastore/                firewall_enable_ruleset   reset_service            

datastorebrowser/         get_service_status        runtimeinfo              

firmware/                 hostconfig                set_hostid               

net/                      hosthardware              standby_mode_enter       

rsrc/                     hostsummary               standby_mode_exit        

storage/                  login                     start_esx_shell          

summary/                  logout                    start_service