VMware Cloud Community
BorgSquirrel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Essentials License - add more than 3 hosts temporarily

Due to hardware upgrade I would like to temporarily add more than 3 hosts to an Essentials vCenter, is this possible at all or will it refuse? The add host button is not grayed out anyway...

If not possible, what happens if I add an Enterprise ESXi license to the Essentials vCenter and then want to downgrade to Esssentials? Except loss of licensed features, would this work/be allowed?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

..what happens if I add an Enterprise ESXi license to the Essentials vCenter and then want to downgrade to Esssentials..

It will technicly wont work. A vCenter essentials refused to add non essentials esxi or hosts in eval mode.  The same is true for a vCenter Standard/Foundation which refuse to manage a Essentials ESXi.

Regards

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenediktFrenzel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is not possible to add more then 3 Hosts per vCenter. But you could do that if you have a not used Enterprise License lying around.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

..what happens if I add an Enterprise ESXi license to the Essentials vCenter and then want to downgrade to Esssentials..

It will technicly wont work. A vCenter essentials refused to add non essentials esxi or hosts in eval mode.  The same is true for a vCenter Standard/Foundation which refuse to manage a Essentials ESXi.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
BenediktFrenzel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you change the vCenter License first, then connect to the host and change the licenses there, you are able to reconnect them.
After the migration of the workloads, you change the license of the new host to Essential, and then the vCenter back to it's old license.

But please make sure that you have the right amount of licenses in you my.vmware.com account.

0 Kudos
BorgSquirrel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input guys, I will attempt to temporarily re-license vCenter and then downgrade again when done.

0 Kudos