VMware Cloud Community
EdZ
Contributor
Contributor

Errors retrying on SCSI device in console - how to fix?

Hello,

I have an ESX 4.0 server which is reporting the following error in the service console:

sd 7:0:0:49:0: still retrying 24580 after 360s

sd 7:0:0:49:0: still retrying 24581 after 360s

..etc.

Since this appears to be a device with LUN ID 49, I've tried to use some console commands to identify the device such as

esxcfg-mpath -b | grep 49

which returns something like this

vmhba3:C0:T3:L49 LUN:49 state active fc adapter WWN: xxxxxx WWPN: xxxx Target WWN: xxxxx

Using Virtual Center, I can find the UUID of the device on LUN 49. I used that information to run this command

esxcfg-mpath -d naa.xxxxxx

which provided some other small details on the LUN such as the Console Device ID (/dev/sdf). I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else that I can grab from the server before I contact our storage team. Can anyone shed any light on what this error indicates and what I should ask the storage team to look at?

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
3 Replies
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

see if you have dead paths sounds like you might have issues with the lun

try doing a esxcfg-rescan vmhba3 then check ot more details of the device .By the way do you only have 1 HBA?

check esxcfg-mpath -l -P vmhba3:C0:T3:L49 see if you have dead paths

what about fdisk -l /dev/sdf what does that show you?

what sort of shared storage do you have?

0 Kudos
EdZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - There are two HBA's installed on the server in active/passive mode and I performed a rescan on both. I have checked for dead paths using esxcfg-mpath, but both path's on that LUN appear to be alive. I also checked from Virtual Center.  The storage is Fibre Channel on EMC VMAX. I'll try the fdisk -l command and see what that reports.

0 Kudos
EdZ
Contributor
Contributor

Update - I ran fdisk -l | grep sdf and the output shows that sdf is a valid device and recognizes a partition of type fb (VMWare VMFS).

0 Kudos