VMware Cloud Community
asmilie2b4
Contributor
Contributor

Error with eroneous text placed in vmx file

We have a recurring issue with our vSphere Essentials 5.5.   For some reason every couple of days or so in the .VMX file of one VM, the first line is repeated further down in the file.

This seems to cause vSphere no isssue, however t causes our Veeam backup to fail.  Would anyone else have experienced this?  We did check with Veeam who stated that Veeam does not modfy the vmx file directly.   Here is a screenshot.

Dropbox - vSphereIssueWithText.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Can you clarify what you mean by "repeated"? I don't see any duplicate lines on your screenshot.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
asmilie2b4
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

What I meant was the line 59, is also on line 1.

It's like it get's 'echoed' again in the file.  Sometimes at line 59, sometimes before or after that.

0 Kudos
asmilie2b4
Contributor
Contributor

Would anyone have any idea on what could be causing this eroneous text to be put into the file?  It is as if the system is hiccupping and re-inserting the first line where it shouldn't be.  It can't just be us that have experienced this?

0 Kudos
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well that's interesting. My guess would be not vSphere or ESXi but rather some other application is causing this. Are you using any 3rd party solutions that have access to vSphere apart from Veeam?

Can you isolate the event after which the line is duplicated? Eg. snapshot creation, power operation, etc?

0 Kudos