VMware Cloud Community
james016
Contributor
Contributor

Error when trying to patch ESXi4 host

Hi there

I am having an issue when trying to install a patch on to a test ESXi host. I am using the RCLi on my workstation to install patch ESXi400-2010032401-BG as is required to have full functionality on a new HP server we are looking to buy.

I am using the following command: vihostupdate.pl -server <server IP address> --install --bundle c:\patch.zip

patch.zip is what I have renamed the file to.

When I run the command I get the error in the attached file.

Does anyone know what this error means and how I can solve?

The host is ESXi 4.0.0 ReleaseBuil-261974

Many Thanks

James

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Errors like this one are usually caused by having different versions of the same dll on the system.

Most likely another application installed this dll in the system32 folder.

André

james016
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre

There was another version of that dll in System32. Looks like it was installed by BusinessObjects.

What I did was rename that dll, copied the version from the Perl\bin folder and put that in system32 and rebooted

I ran the command again and this time it said that the host updated successfully.

Is there a way to verify that the patch has installed successfully? Just to be sure.

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

James,

... this time it said that the host updated successfully

This output usually doesn't lie Smiley Wink

To verify the updates, either use vihostupdate.pl with the query option (-q or --query) or take a look at the build number, displayed when you select the host in the vSphere client.

André

0 Kudos
james016
Contributor
Contributor

I did a bit more testing, re-installed the ESXi server, then the patch, the build number did change. The first time it didn't change as the host was already up to date.

0 Kudos