VMware Cloud Community
dsohal
Contributor
Contributor

Error when tring to Convert a Virtual machine from VMWare VirtualCenter or VMWare ESX Server

I have done the conversion successfully and when I try to install the VM Tools it tells me Unsupported and I get the below message,

Unable to install VMware Tools. An error occurred while trying to access image file "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso" needed to install VMware Tools: 0 (No such file or directory). If your product shipped with the VMware Tools package, reinstall VMware ESX, then try again to install the VMware Tools package in the virtual machine.
The required VMware Tools ISO image does not exist or is inaccessible.

Please assisst,

Regards,

Dev

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you confirmed on the ESX Host that is hosting this guest that directory does not exist?  If it doesn't you could check another ESX Hosts (same build) in your Infrastructure and copy the contents from one to the other.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

...also, if this was a 3.5 guest, then the tools are unsupported on ESXi 5 Hosts.  What I would do is unintall the tools completely, then try to install the tools again.

0 Kudos
dsohal
Contributor
Contributor

I get this when I follow,

Call "VirtualMachine.MountToolsInstaller" for object "WEBF3_Test" on vCenter Server "******" failed.
Unable to install VMware Tools. An error occurred while trying to access image file "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso" needed to install VMware Tools: 0 (No such file or directory). If your product shipped with the VMware Tools package, reinstall VMware ESX, then try again to install the VMware Tools package in the virtual machine.
The required VMware Tools ISO image does not exist or is inaccessible.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

did you see my replies?

0 Kudos
dsohal
Contributor
Contributor

That's what I tried uninstalling the tools completely and then installing back again,

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

..and you have confirmed the iso packages are available on the ESXi Host?

0 Kudos
dsohal
Contributor
Contributor

If you see me initial concern I converted the machine from Host 3.5 to 5.0, I guess it should have copied during that process,

0 Kudos