VMware Cloud Community
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error when doing vmotion to another host : the virtual machine cannot be restored because the snapshot was taken with VHV enabled. To restore, set vhv.enable to true.

Hello,

i am trying to migrate some vm`s to another host.

When doing this, i receive the following error (see attachment also) :

On both hosts the HVH is already enabled.

What to do to fix this?

Thx

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What version of ESXI is running on the target?  What kind of physical CPU is present on the target?

0 Kudos
dave012345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same issue. I noticed that it began after upgrading the virtual hardware of these VM's. I get the same exact error only on VMX-10 virtual machines.

I found that this seems to help with some of them but not all: How to set Hardware virtualization --> expose

Has anyone else seen this array of symptoms and come up with a solution?

0 Kudos
dave012345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing the same thing on vSphere 5.5u3 and ESXi 5.5u3 with Intel Xeon E7 cpus

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please post a vmware.log file.

0 Kudos
dave012345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

File attached. it has been deidentified. You can find the host referenced by searching "ESXI_HOST" and find the VM name by searching "USER_VM".

Thanks for taking a look.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I suspect that the referenced snapshot was taken on a misconfigured ESXi host, with the setting "vhv.enable = TRUE" manually added to /etc/vmware/config.

To enable virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization for the affected VMs, use the web client and navigate to the processor settings screen. Check the box next to "Expose hardware-assisted virtualization to the guest operating system."  This setting is not available under the traditional C# client.

0 Kudos
dave012345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We did manually add that setting in the past, and it's been nothing but trouble since. Also, the weirdest thing is none of these affected VM's have snapshots. Anyways, I will remove vhv.enable = TRUE from the config file of a host and see if that resolves the issue. Thanks.

0 Kudos
dave012345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have removed the VHV setting from the ESXi config file and I've set the hardware virtualization to enabled. Still no luck on these VM's. Is it possible that they or the hosts need to be rebooted before this will take effect?

hardware virtualization.png

0 Kudos