VMware Cloud Community
stealth010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error when attempting to upgrade a previously installed VIC to the latest ESXi 4.1 VIC

Has anyone else experienced this issue with ESXi 4.1?...

After installing ESXi 4.1 (fresh install on host - not upgraded), when opening the VIC on a workstation, and connecting to the new ESXi 4.1 host, it attempts to upgrade the VIC as usual, but fails, retuning the error: "The required client support files cannot be retrieved from the server. The login process will now exit. Details: The request failed because of a connection failure."

So I attempted to install the VIC by going to the host web pages. When clicking on "Download vSphere Client", it attempts to go to the following link (http://vsphereclient.vmware.com/vsphereclient/2/5/8/9/0/2/VMware-viclient-all-4.1.0-258902.exe), instead of downloading the VIC from the host. When attempting to download the VIC from the host, I have tried the IP address and the DNS name, both fail to point to the correct location.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think I read that with ESX 4.1 you cannot download the VIC from the ESX host anymore - you have to download it from the VMware site.

I downloaded the VIC 4.1 from VMware and it installed without issue for me ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think I read that with ESX 4.1 you cannot download the VIC from the ESX host anymore - you have to download it from the VMware site.

I downloaded the VIC 4.1 from VMware and it installed without issue for me ...

0 Kudos
stealth010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did end up installing it from VMware's site, and it installed without issue for me as well.

So if my host was internet accessible, would the client have upgraded itself properly without giving the error, and retrieved the install package from the VMware site? So is VMware now suggesting that the host and/or your workstation be internet accessible?

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think so.

No, you do not need you host to be internet accessable AFAIK - just one machine to download the VIC.

0 Kudos
catman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If anyone finds a solution to this, I'd love to hear it.

Our VI client (V4.0 build 162856) has been killed by a .NET patch (as per <http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1022611>).

I've downloaded the V4.1 build 258902 install, un-installed my existing client and installed the new one. When you then launch the client, there's no vpxclient.exe on the machine!

I cannot find a link to download V4.0.0 build 208111.... arghh!

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes, you are not alone, I wonder where can i download the vsphere client 4.1 directly using my browser.

The required client support files cannot be retrieved from the server "vsphereclient.vmware.com". The login process will now exit.

Details: The request failed because of a connection failure. (Unable to connect to the remote server)

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
AZG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make sure your workstation is not going to the internet via a proxy server.

0 Kudos
alitomr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys, those of you who were able to get any client above version 2.5 to run were lucky.

If you have ESXi 3.5, I strongly recommend that you download the VI Client 2.5.  I have it and can't remember if I download it from this website or some other.

The point is this is the only client that works fine when connecting to ESXi 3.5. I spent countless hours trying many "fixes" to run newer clients under Windows 7 and XP without success. I finally decided to install a VM with XP and install the old 2.5 Client. It's not the best solution but I am now working on my datacenter instead of trying to figure out how to access my resources.

0 Kudos
peterceee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But also remember (if you use proxy) to open web site (doesnt't matter which one) to be sure that internet access is available, and minimize the web browser.

0 Kudos
peterceee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For me it works 🙂

0 Kudos