VMware Cloud Community
Ivanhoe1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error - "An application (/sbin/sfcbd) running on esxi host has crashed..."

Get alot of this error on my hosts, "An application (/sbin/sfcbd) running on esxi host has crashed...". Cant find any helpful kb, seems like sfcbd has something to do with hardware health monitoring. Any suggestion?

Environment (new):

ESXi 6.5 (DL380 G9)

VCSA 6.5

vSan

5 Replies
mantisblue
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me.

Didn't see any of that with an 6.5.0 standard image. Hardware sensors were not showing so I switched to an HPE custom 6.5.0 image and started getting those errors (~500 in 3 days). hardware sensors still undetected. Not sure if related but since I switched image the web ui is reporting lost connection and asking me to reload. Tried to start the sfcbd service. Still no hardware sensors but the lost connection issue seems to have gone.

Any pointers on how to debug/address the issue(s)?

Details:

ESXi 6.5.0 HPE Custom Image

HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9

0 Kudos
ssavant
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same issue and raised a support ticket and got the reply that it's a known issue with ESXi 6.5, and a fix is planned.

As you say, it seems to be related to hardware monitoring but doesn't seem to affect anything else/critical.

AMeyercord
Contributor
Contributor

ssavant​ Do you know if a fix or workaround has been released?

0 Kudos
ssavant
Contributor
Contributor

Not to my knowledge, no. I'm guessing that fix will be included with 6.5 U1?

We did try a workaround with a script purging the errors because we we're a bit worried that the logfiles might fill the disk,

but it turned out that there is only 3 (if memory serves me right) files at the most so in the end we didn't bother.

0 Kudos
kbiradar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi There

THis is well known issue and here is kb article from VMware

VMware Knowledge Base https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2148526

There is workaround for the same.

You can disable hpe-smx cim provider to stop this crashing.

How to do that?

esxcli system wbem provider set -e false -n <provider_name>

How to get desired provider name?

esxcli system wbem provider list

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful