VMware Cloud Community
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error on Install

I have ESXi 4.0 installed on a HP DL580 G5 server, and it has worked fine for months. I'm planning to upgrade it to 4.1 using a boot disk (server will not be managed by VC, so I don't really care about not using VUM) and I get a red screen with a "Divide by Zero" error message. It looks like it is unpacking a .gz file from the boot disk, and fails. Anyone have any ideas, or is it just a bad ISO?

For some reason the add image button is causing me browser issues, but its a red screen, and I'll just type out the output:

Divide by Zero

EAX=FFFFD000      EBX=00000000      ECX=00000800       EDX=0000FFFF

E8P=00107B18       ESI=00000036       ED1=0000F4E0

DS=E800                ES=00                  FS=0010               GS=2B03

CS:EIP=E8000:0000347C                     SS=ESP=0000:00007B14

EFLAGS=00000007

After typing out the above, I just noticed it will let me attach the image. I've attached it.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

hmm can you ensure that the downloaded ISO's hash is the same as posted in the download page?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already:

• verify the MD5 checksum of the installation ISO is ok
  • burn another CD
  • update the server's firmware

BTW you cannot upgrade using the CD. This will be a fresh install wiping the data on the installation disk!

André

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

also, those red screens are usually related to the hardware and come from the hardware.  Is all the firmware current on the system?

Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I havent run the MD5 checksum, but I did use this ISO to install within the last few weeks on some HP DL385 G7 servers. I'm not using CD's, just ISO's mounted via ILO.

Firmware levels are slightly out of date, so I guess I could update this. Basically, I've taken an ESXi 4.0 server that was in a HA/DRS farm and managed by VCenter out to create an isolated environment contained within only this host. I haven't run a checksum before on ESXi disks, but I'll figure that out. I may just re-download it to be safe. Thanks for the input, I just figured I'd check if someone has seen similar messages.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

one other thing to note...I would do a rebuild, delete the onboard array settings (F8), and create new. We've run into these red screens during upgrades and wiping the onboard raid set and creating new, then doing a fresh install fixed it.

0 Kudos
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Troy, thats easy enough to do. 

0 Kudos
huntmedown
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Smitty23,

Is the issue resolved for you. IF so can you help me know the solution?

Many Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey, its been a while, but I believe the solution is to install 4.0, then do an upgrade to 4.1. Its very strange and there may be a newer fix, but this is how I needed to do it.

0 Kudos