VMware Cloud Community
ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

Error on ESXi 5.5 build 3116895

Hi Everyone, I have IBM 3650 with a large Data Store (9 TB) suddenly the host is not responding, so  I decided to restart it after restart I could not add the datastore, and it gave me this message

{Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateVmfsDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "10.1.1.229" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to create Filesystem, please see VMkernel log for more details: Failed to check for existing file system on device '/vmfs/devices/disks/mpx.vmhba1:C0:T1:L0:1'.}

0 Kudos
14 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The first thing would be to check for Hardware errors by entering the BIOS (UEFI) of the server, in the Hardware logs.

You could also run the internal diagnostics of the server especially the disk controller and the disks.

Another way would be to enter the server's service module (IMM) and check the hardware log.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked the 3650 for any errors?

ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

I tried and still the problem present 

ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

there are no error 

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please explain why the volume has been significantly expanded since last boot ???

Ulli

ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

Hi mbufkin, 

I read it carefully but they talk about format the  LUN, and I cannot wiped all data , so is there another way to recover the data from VMFS

ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Immortal, what do you mean?

I said that i have VM with 9TB storage, it crashed and freezing, so the only solution is reboot the VM after  the restart i am not able to add the storage (9TB).

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-21 at 6.51.14 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-05-21 at 6.35.50 PM.jpeg

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

LVM: 2908: [mpx.vmhba1:C0:T1:L0:1] Device expanded (actual size 19470897119 blocks, stored size 209715200 blocks)

The VMFS-volume complains about a size mismatch. For unknown reasons the VMFS header references a size of 100gb - so it is not surprising that you can not mount it.

Can you dump the first 3gb of "/dev/disks/mpx.vmhba1:C0:T1:L0:1" into a file and send it to me ?

Then I can tell you if the original content of the datastore is still available.

Ulli

0 Kudos
ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Immortal,

I did try this command. 

esxcli system coredump file add d- mpx.vmhba1:C0:T1:L0:1

Error: Unknown command or namespace system coredump file add d- mpx.vmhba1:C0:T1:L0:1

I feeing I do it wrong if you tell me or guide me with the correct command. Because I google it for more 4 hours  

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Oh dear - sorry - never imagined that somebody would try a coredump command ....
Please read my instructions ...
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere-Documents/Create-a-VMFS-Header-dump-using-an-ESXi-H...

Ulli

0 Kudos
ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

dd: /dev/disks/mpx.vmhba1:C0:T1:L0:1: Input/output error
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a second datastore where we could create a Linux VM ?

Contact me via skype if that is possible
Ulli

0 Kudos
ramynada
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I have not another datastore to install linux.

I'll contact with you now.

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos