VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Error in removing empty datastore - The resource is in use.

Hi Everyone,

I'm having problem with deleting my empty VMFS3 datastore I have restarted the host already but somehow it is still stuck cannot bedeleted, can anyone help me in deleting this empty VMFS3 datastore please ?

Thanks.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rich123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I like to use the "Maps" tab to see if any VMs are still accessing the datastore. It's much easier than checking the settings for lots of VMs.

Select the "Maps" tab and only put a check in the box for VM to datastore

Click on Apply Relationships

If there are any lines to the datastore you want to delete, that means a VM is still pointing to the datastore.

If that's the case, edit the settings for the VM so it's not pointing to that datastore anymore.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Albert,

Have you ever stored Iso files on this datastore? I have seen such a problem with a VM still configured to use an Iso file on a datastore even if that file was removed. Check your VM settings.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply Frank,

There is no VM inside that datastore, but i don't know why it can't be deleted still ?

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can have VMs on other datastores pointing to a "ghost" file on that datastore. Have you check all your VMs' CD settings? There should be something pointing to this datastore that locks it and prevent its deletion.

0 Kudos
ravirhce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, Is there other ESX servers which are accessing this datastore?

Regards,

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds to me that you have a VM that is possibly pointing to something that was on that datastore. I would check that you don't have any ISOs mounted to any of the VMs or possibly a VMDK that was linked there.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Rich123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I like to use the "Maps" tab to see if any VMs are still accessing the datastore. It's much easier than checking the settings for lots of VMs.

Select the "Maps" tab and only put a check in the box for VM to datastore

Click on Apply Relationships

If there are any lines to the datastore you want to delete, that means a VM is still pointing to the datastore.

If that's the case, edit the settings for the VM so it's not pointing to that datastore anymore.

jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

How funny, I have never thought to do that! That is a great tip!

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks guys,

here's what I got when try to delete it manually from direct vSphere client login to the affected host. (to RORO1 not going through vCenter)

Error during the configuration of the host: DestroyVmfsDatastore: can't delete partition 3 on lun naa.6001ec90eef46b0012a786ee0c89ad75

0 Kudos
AnsgarOnTVE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I faced the same problem, I checked every VM and couldn't find a VM using that datastaore. Eventually the maps function showed me that a template was still using the datastore for an ISO file. After correcting this I was able to delete the datastore.

Ansgar

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for all of your reply guys,

I'm about to delete the partition from the command line. By using the command in http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101710...

Hopefully it works fine during the business hours.

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rich123 wrote:

I like to use the "Maps" tab to see if any VMs are still accessing the datastore.  It's much easier than checking the settings for lots of VMs.

[deleted]

I'm also unable to delete a datastore.  However, I don't see any "Maps" tab.  But there's no other hints in this discussion to let me find out where this "Maps" is.  Could someone help?

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Horinius wrote:

Rich123 wrote:

I like to use the "Maps" tab to see if any VMs are still accessing the datastore.  It's much easier than checking the settings for lots of VMs.

[deleted]

I'm also unable to delete a datastore.  However, I don't see any "Maps" tab.  But there's no other hints in this discussion to let me find out where this "Maps" is.  Could someone help?

The Maps tab is in vCenter.  Its pretty much on every object (datacenter, host, cluster, vms), you should not be able to miss it.  You can also find Maps on the Home page of vCenter when you connect.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh I see!  I don't have vCenter, that's why I couldn't find it.  Too bad for me.  Forget about the "Maps" tabs then.

0 Kudos
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

We are also facing similar problem.Unable to delete or unmount the ISO datastore from any of the ESX host.There is currently no data inside it and also none of the VMs using it.Getting below error when try to delete

"Remove datastore xxxxxx The resource 'XXXXDSISO' is in use"

When trying to unmount it... attached is the message from vCenter.Please note : there are 5 hosts in cluster but while unmount its only showing 3 hosts which are of version ESXi 5.0

Any new suggestions other than posted above ?

0 Kudos