VMware Cloud Community
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error during machine start up

Hello,

recently I have reinstalled my test ESX server with ESXI 5.5. Previously I was running ESXI 5.0. I have backed up all te VM's on my PC. Then I restored the folders on ESXI storage. I have added them back to inventory (right click on VMX file/Add to inventory) but one of the machines did not start. There is an error:

Untitled.png

Could you please give me an advice how to solve the problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has the issue been resolved? Are you able to power on the VM?

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It looks like the snapshot files are corrupted. Please try to delete the snapshot and then power on the VM?

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks
0 Kudos
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried and I received the following message:

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please use this KB article to resolve this issue : VMware KB: Cannot power on a virtual machine because the virtual disk cannot be opened

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi smotev,

Did the issue get resolved? Please let me know.

0 Kudos
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately recreation of descriptor file did not help. I receive again the same mistake. The VM is looking for -000001.vmd file.

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If possible, could you please paste the output of "ls -l" on the directory where the VM resides.

0 Kudos
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Of course, here is the screenshot.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I see that the snapshot -000001-delta.vmdk(the snapshot vmdk) file is not present, but the -000001.vmdk file is present. Please move the DEVNDC03E-000001.vmdk file to another filename and try to power on your VM. I think this should solve the issue.

0 Kudos
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have again the error message from my second post.

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The vmx file should be still pointing to -000001.vmdk. Change it to the original disk file. I'm able to reproduce the same issue in my setup and editing vmx solved the issue.

smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has the issue been resolved? Are you able to power on the VM?

0 Kudos
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. I have just started the VM. Now I have another problem, but I suppose it is cause by damaged OS.

I have connected the vdmk file to another machine and when it booted up started checking the disk and replacing a lot of security ids.

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to know that the issue got resolved.

Is this disk check operation initiated by OS?

0 Kudos
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes,

there was a very long check disk. When I returned the disk to the original machine I see the following message.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
smotev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have resored the following file but now I have another message.

Untitled.png

It looks like this machine is unrepairable. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
srijits
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Startup Error “load needed DLLs for kernel”. - Microsoft Community

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Srijit http://thesmartadmin.com/
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi smotev,

I'm not sure that disk required a check outside of the VM (on a different OS). Anyway, I think your option now are:

1. Take complete copy of the VM folder elsewhere before any further damage. Smiley Happy

2. Repair the OS,

To repair you should boot your VM with the same installation disc/ISO, and select repair instead of setup. This is somewhat different from the Recovery Console option suggested in previous post. This option will copy all the Windows files to C:\Windows (or default installation folder) akin to installation.

1. Attach the installation disc.

2. Power on the VM, and boot from CDROM.

3. Once setup is loaded, press Enter to set up Windows (not Recovery Console).

4. Press F8 for EULA.

5. Now setup will search for previous Windows installation, if it finds one it will prompt you to repair it. At this point press R to start the repair.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos