VMware Cloud Community
ShahzadRasool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error downloading client support files for vSphere 5.0 client

Dear all,

I'm new to VMware and learning ESXi 5.0. I built my ESXi 5.0 host and then downloaded the vSphere 5.5 client. Since I just have one host; vSphere 5.5 client can manage that. I installed the client and input host's management IP address, along with root/configured password. It gave certificate warning then said it needs to download client support files. It always timed out with following error message as you can see.

I'm running client on high speed LAN connection, i even changed connections to see if internet access is the issue. It is simplest setup at home, 1 host, one windows 7 computer (with vSphere client installed) both connected to my DSL modem/router. The client support files won't download doesn't matter what. Help please!!

Capture.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

Sorry my bad vSphere Client 5.5 support ESXi 5.0 but vSphere Client 5.5U1 (Build 1618071) doesn't support ESXi 5.0 host

Check the vSphere Client Compatibility matrix for more information

1.jpg

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hey, the vSphere client needs to be the same version as the host you want to manage. That's why it wants to download files.

In your browser go to https://your-esxi-ip/

There you can find a direct download link for the vsphere client installer.

Regards

Tim

ShahzadRasool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Tim,

Thanks for assistance. Please see following details;

Installed ESXi Host:  5.0
Installed vSphere client version:  5.5

Installed vSphere client file executable: VMware-viclient-all-5.5.0-1618071

Message displayed from client:

Capture.PNG

The ESXi host 5.0 is listening at http://131.107.0.50. This URL is exposed and to be honest the link it shows to download vSphere client is pretty useless...because that link itself is referring to online URL. Please see image below. When we point mouse pointer to that link it shows the URL which cropped and showed here.

Untitled.png

There is no doubt vSphere 5.5 client would be able to manage an ESXi 5.0 host; but alas the client itself won't install properly to begin with.

Regards,

Shahzad.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

"The traditional vSphere Client will continue to operate, supporting the same features set as vSphere 5.0..."

vSphere Client in above statement means vSphere 5.5 traditional Client not 5.0 Client.

You need vSphere 5.0 Client to manage ESXi 5.0 host.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
ShahzadRasool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Mustafa,

Thank you for the comment. So are you saying a vSphere 5.5 client cannot manage a vSphere 5.0 host?
Can someone certify this please? Thanks.

Regards,

Shahzad.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

Sorry my bad vSphere Client 5.5 support ESXi 5.0 but vSphere Client 5.5U1 (Build 1618071) doesn't support ESXi 5.0 host

Check the vSphere Client Compatibility matrix for more information

1.jpg

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

0 Kudos