VMware Cloud Community
Moonf4
Contributor
Contributor

Error attempting to migrate VM between ESXi 5.1 hosts - Managed Object Reference xxxxx refers to object that no longer exists ??

I am attempting to test a vMotion migration between two ESXi 5.1 hosts that do not have shared storage. The compatibility check for the Hosts is successful, but when it goes to the compatibility check for the datastores, I receive the following error:

ManagedObjectReference: type = Datastore, value = datastore-1192, serverGuid = XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXX refers to a managed object that no longer exists or has never existed.

Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem. I have checked the folllowing so far:

Networking is ok.

Hosts are licensed for VMotion and Storage Motion.

Both datastores are local to the Hosts.

Each host has two datastores:   esxname-datastore1  &  esxname-datastore2

6 Replies
MarVista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

your both host are on ESX 5.1 and v center 5.1? Because only with  vmware 5.1 you can migrate vm without shared storage as it has enhanced vMotion feature.to checking this issue you can try vmotion with shutdown the vm for time being.

Yours,
Mar Vista

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

test a vMotion migration between two ESXi 5.1 hosts that do not have shared storage.

For this feature, you need to be using the web client feature. From the traditional Vsphere interface, you might face this error message.

refers to a managed object that no longer exists or has never existed.

Also, just try to make sure that the hosts are not connected to any other VCs

0 Kudos
Moonf4
Contributor
Contributor

For this feature, you need to be using the web client feature. From the traditional Vsphere interface, you might face this error message.

I am using the web client.

Also, just try to make sure that the hosts are not connected to any other VCs

The hosts are only connected to one VCenter.

0 Kudos
Moonf4
Contributor
Contributor

MarVista wrot

your both host are on ESX 5.1 and v center 5.1? Because only with  vmware 5.1 you can migrate vm without shared storage as it has enhanced vMotion feature.

Yes, boths hosts are 5.1 and vCenter is 5.1.  I have tested this on a different set of ESXi boxes in the same vCenter and it worked fine.

to checking this issue you can try vmotion with shutdown the vm for time being.

Doing a cold migration would defeat the whole purpose of testing / verifying that a VMotion between 5.1 hosts works ok.

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As a potential workaround, you can try to put into use Quick Migration functionality that is available in Veeam Free version. With Veeam Quick Migration you’ll be able to migrate promptly one or more VM between ESX:smileyinfo: hosts/cluster, datastores or both. It allows migration of VMs in any state with a minimum disruption to business operations and end user access to services. Cheers.

john23
Commander
Commander

Mostly its looks webclient refresh issue.Remove both the host from the web-client and add it back.

Give a fresh try...All the best Smiley Happy

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos