VMware Cloud Community
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error: Provide a valid license key - ESXi 7.0

hello

I am placing an ESXi license in a client's host and it indicates an invalid license, it makes me curious, since it is a license that is acquired under a contract with vmware. I have multiple hosts that I need to license and they all tell me the same error.

It is a host with two cpu and I have two license serial numbers.

some advice for this type of situation.

virtualhelp_0-1630956236017.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Since ages ESXi accept one license.... and never two or more. So go back into the new partner connect portal and combine the 2 lics into a single one and try again. If you there... check to be sure that you have the right version because a 6.x key doesnt work on 7.x installation.

Only ones... it was a customer with a Essentials package i was unable to assign the license trough the WebClient  of Hostclient. Solved the problem my assigning the lic on the command line.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If there are hosts that are connected to the vcenter, and I need to place the license. Should I also run the license combination process? or from the vcenter could I put the two serials for the host?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Also the vCenter cant be assign 2 lics at once. So if you have 6 LICs with one CPU each also vCenter cant solve your problem. Indeed vCenter can manage a 6 CPU Licence and provide a portion to each of your hosts.

The Customer Connect portal can combine and split Lics as often as you want and its free 🙂

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos