VMware Cloud Community
Mickoni
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error Cloning/Templating Windows 2008

I am just setting up a new system and I installed Win 2008 R2 Datacenter on a ESXi 4.0 clustered host.

Before I installed VM Tools in the guest, I could clone to template (and normal clone). However, as soon as I install the VM Tools I get the error attached almost imediately after starting the process.

The other strange thing is that I can snapshot the VM (using Snapshot Manager) no problem.

I've noticed other people have had issues with this in win 2003 and I have played with the VSS options in the guest - as suggested. There doesn't appear to be any errors in the Event Viewer though.

Any ideas?!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lnairn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, i had the same problem, and i solved it installing Windows 2008, not R2.

you can try clone the VM wen the VM is powered off and everithing would be ok.

The problem is that the clone when the VM is powered off tried to squiece the Guest OS and that fail.

Remember that windows 2008 R2 is supported, bat still is experimentall.

Sorry my English,

Leandro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

All is simple: If you are using VSS - check this

If SYNC driver- this

And if you are using iSCSI initiator from MS - use 3d party one.[this|http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/]

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
Mickoni
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for info but I had already seen that document (and have been through it about 4 times as well just incase I was making a mistake Smiley Happy ) and im not using MS initiator or VCB.

I'm not seeing the errors listed in the event viewer as in that document suggests but I do see the folliwng:

"The VMware Tools Service service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."

I have since unchecked the " Allow service to interact with desktop" option for VM Tools service but that hasnt made any difference.

0 Kudos
lnairn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, i had the same problem, and i solved it installing Windows 2008, not R2.

you can try clone the VM wen the VM is powered off and everithing would be ok.

The problem is that the clone when the VM is powered off tried to squiece the Guest OS and that fail.

Remember that windows 2008 R2 is supported, bat still is experimentall.

Sorry my English,

Leandro.

0 Kudos
Mickoni
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems like you are correct Inairn.

I have installed a non-R2 version and the templating/cloning works fine now.

0 Kudos
Jae-Hoon_Choi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Check your guest OS's services.

I was expirenced same problem and clear it!

0 Kudos