VMware Cloud Community
AnsgarOnTVE
Contributor
Contributor

EnvironmentBrowser.QueryConfigTarget error when trying to edit vm settings

I started the upgrade of my VMware environment to vsphere5 a couple of days ago. First thing was the upgrade of my vcenter server. Upgrade went relatively smooth, except that the upgrade procedure complaint about on NFS Datastore which uses different specification for the host. Since that datastore was only for temporarly ISO-Images, I deleted that datastore from all ESXi hosts and the rest of the upgrade was done without any further problems.

Next step was the installation of the vsphere5 client, also not problems there.

First checks of the new upgraded vcenter 5 showed no problems.

Last night my Windows 2008 R2 NFS server for the ISO images and backup rebooted due to windows security patch installation. Unfortunately the NFS service didn't come up, which i didn't detect right away.

Today I tried to modify the settings of one  VM and I got the error message "EnvironmentBrowser.QueryConfigTarget" and didn't get the edit vm settings windows. After that I tried to edit the settings of other VMs and I always got this error message.

Some googling gave me the following KB article: 2006615

In this article an inactive NFS datastore is the reason for raising the error message. They actually recommend to unmount this stale NFS datastore.

I simply started the NFS service on my server and after that I was able to edit the settings of my VMs.

In my opinion this behaviour is very unpleasant. In my case I only lost an uncritical datastore (only 2 VMs used that for their CDROM ISO images) but now I am not able to edit the settings of ALL of my VMs.

Regards

Ansgar

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies