VMware Cloud Community
katzman
Contributor
Contributor

Entry Level Board-CPU for ESXi 4 Build Needed

I need to build an entry level ESXi server for my lab.  I have a key contract that hinges on a solid proof-of-concept for an ESXi 4 Virtualization Project. End state would be ESXi 4 with only x64 guest OS installs. W2k8 R2 x64 for PDC, SharePoint 2010 and SQL 2008 R2, and Win7 Ult x64 for desktop all in a secure VM-Team.  They want to use Hyper-V right now!!

Can you please provided suggestions for Board-CPU-RAM type for a build that will have no ESXi 4 compatibility issues with setup above?

You kind assistance is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Jamie Katz

Securing your world - today!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jamie,

If budget is a major concern, you could look at piecing together a server from parts that are found on this list...

http://www.vm-help.com//esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

This is a great resource for working out whether or not hardware will work in an ESX environment, and should allow you to do this on the cheap, especially if this is only going to be a proof of concept. How far does your budget stretch? You may be able to grab an HP in the G5 series, you'll need to make sure that whatever processor you select has VT support in order to run 64bit VMs...

katzman
Contributor
Contributor

What if we just work this backwords from CPU to make it simple. Would a Core2 Quad Q9560 or Q9550 be a good start, then I can match to a reliable/compatible board.

I have cases w/PSU, HDD / DVD drives, and RAM etc. sitting around.  Would like to add Board-CPU and use some of my spare parts before looking to a whole new box.

Thanks again!

Jamie 🙂

0 Kudos
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problem. I would definitely aim for a supported quad core processor, and as much RAM as i could possibly install on the board, perhaps around 12GB if you could scratch that together...

katzman
Contributor
Contributor

If you think a Quad Q9560 is a solid start, I can get a board+cpu combo for about $470.  I have 2x4gb of PC6400 not in use but could double (4-sockets) 16gb total. Extra RAM is on $50.

Does this sound like a good platform for approx. $520? I just need to make sure I have NO issues with ESXi install or guest OS setup!!

Thanks you!! 🙂

Jamie

0 Kudos
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah a quad core would be preferable in my eyes, and with 16GB of RAM would make a very decent test platform.

This is where it gets a little tricky, the whitebox HCL is a great site but you need to put your trust in the experience of others. I guess what i'm saying is it is not a solid gold guarantee that everything will work just fine (although i'm sure most of the time it does all work as reported), whereas hardware listed on VMware's official HCL you know should just plain work

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

CPU isn't a big issue. With 4 cores you are fine.

Usually the issue is with low RAM... at least 8 GB is required to make something useful.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos