VMware Cloud Community
dkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enterprise Trial License

Hi,

I have 3 ESX 4.0 servers licensed with Advanced licenses on each.

I want to test out storage vmotion and was wondering what would happen if I entered an Enterprise trial key on the servers, tested the feature, but then wanted to go back to Advanced?

Is it just a matter of re-entering the Advanced license key or would it require a re-installation?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - Yes it is that simple - just replace the license key and when you are done replace it with the original licdense key -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Actually this should work as long as you do not enable any Enterprise features like FT, vDS ...

When you initially install ESX without entering a license key, it defaults to a 60-day Enterprise Plus trial version and there are no issues assigning the license keys later, so I assume changing forth and back will work.

André

kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

gosh that sounds scary. i wouldnt mess with a production cluster. do you have a standalone beefy box that you can test with? virtualize ESX within itself

http://www.vcritical.com/2009/05/vmware-esx-4-can-even-virtualize-itself/

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - Yes it is that simple - just replace the license key and when you are done replace it with the original licdense key -

0 Kudos
dkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks everyone..will give it a go on the weekend and then revert back

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

call me crazy but how exactly do you get a license key for enterprise plus for just a trial...

i am under the impression that you can install ESX(i), vCenter, etc and you will have a trial period with all the features. At the end of the trial period you have to enter a serial key or your VMs will no longer boot and ESX hosts are disconnected from vCenter.

So how do you go abouts getting a license key for enterprise plus? At no point do I remember getting a license key for a trial.

*EDIT*

So unless you format your ESX(i) hosts, I don't know how you can test out SvMotion in your production environment.

0 Kudos
dkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, it worked

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware partners can provide customers with 60 day eval licenses - available on the partner portal. By default if you do not supply a license key during the installation you will have access to all the features for 60 days - but as has also been pointed out if you configure options that your license key does not support - ie having a advanced key and enabled FT for example - you will not be able to use the license until the features have been removed\disabled.

0 Kudos