VMware Cloud Community
PaulFleetwood
Contributor
Contributor

Enhanced Aithentication Plugin - domain name format

I am trying to get the enhanced authentication plugin for Vsphere 6.5 working.

I am logged into my client device (Server 2012r2) as username@domain.co.uk

If I manually log into Vsphere as username@domain.co.uk then I can connect. However, the plugin automatically tries to log me in as domain\username - which fails.

Is there a way to configure the plugin to use the correct domain format?

Or is there a way to configure Vsphere to respond to either format?

Thanks

4 Replies
odelassi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

in the past i have this issue,

when you use the free hypervizor licence of ESXI it doesn't accept the domain\user format

thanks

0 Kudos
PaulFleetwood
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that's useful to know.

My trial licenses have now run out, so I need to wait for our proper licenses to be approved before I can continue with this.

However, I have noted that our current VSphere 5.5 environment only responds to domain\username (and fails using username@domain), however my VSPhere 6.5 environment is the reverse.

I'm guessing this is something in the way I have created the AD links in VSphere - does anyone have any experience / knowledge on this?

Is it possible to configure VSphere to respond to both domain\username and username@domain ??

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
odelassi
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
PaulFleetwood
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Looking at my two systems, I think the AD integration has been configured slightly differently, one is using 'Active Directory (Integrated Windows Authentication)' and the other is using 'Active Directory as a LDAP Server'.

I'll need to read up on the differences between these to understand why they behave differently.

The articles you posted mention using multiple sources, so I may look at including both on our new installation and see if that works.....

Thanks again

Paul

0 Kudos