VMware Cloud Community
yecine06
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling VNC not working

Hello,

After following several articles on the web and also the knowlegde base of vmware i havent find out to enable VNC on my instance.

The last thing that i have followed is this tutorial : http://t3chnot3s.blogspot.fr/2012/03/how-to-enable-vnc-access-to-vms-on.html

But even with that i find the rules in the fiewall list, i have found in the vsphere client in the configuration the different settings that i have set to enable VNC

But still with all of this it never find the VNS server when i try to connect to my VM.

It's a VM for Windows 7 i don't know if it changes anything.

Anyway if some body have something about why it doesn't work it would be great !!

Thanks fo your help                         

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

IMHO that tutorial is "a little" mis-leading. I trully do not understand why he tweaks ESXi-firewall. It has literaly NOTHING to do with VM-traffic. It filters only traffic to/from esxi management port.

If I understand correctly, you want to use VNC to connect to one or more of your VMs. I use it myself, and proper procedure is pretty straightforward:

1. install VNC-server on the VM you want to connect to. I personally use TightVNC, but you can use any other (RealVNC, UltraVNC, or whatever else)

2. open ports on which your VNC-server is listening. Do this on VM-firewall :smileyalert: (either built-in windows firewall, or any other firewall you are using). Not on ESXi-firewall!

That's all. Now use any VNC-client, and connect to IP of your VM, using port number where VNC-server is running.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
yecine06
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply but as i understood from various sources esxi has built in vnc server that you have to enable on each vm

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1246

or

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/01/using-vnc-client-to-connect-to-vms-in.html

As i haven't managed to make it work through the built in vnc server i'll do like you said for now and install a vnc server on the VM

But if anybody has managed to make it work like vmware suggest

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Yes, I have heard about it and consider it a very bad idea. ESXi is "lightweight" virtualisation platform, and as such it should do only one thing (but do it well): virtualize underlying hardware. Nothing more. Only absolutely necessary processes. Everything else should be offloaded away from hypervisor. "Keep it simple" is the right way to go. The more you run directly on ESXi, the less stable (and more vulnerable) you make it...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos