VMware Cloud Community
DevotedDad
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling SSH Causing Issues with vSphere Client

Hello,

ESXi 4 latest build ... I enabled ssh, then restarted the box. After the restart I attempted to connect via the vSphere client (internal network IP (192.168.1.x)) and I get a consistent can't connect error ... disabling ssh and rebooting once again allows connection via the vSphere client.

Can anyone shine a light on what might be the issue?

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

What are the steps you are following to enable SSH?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
DevotedDad
Contributor
Contributor

I did the ALT+F1 ... typed unsuporrted ... then the password ... fired up VI and opened inetd.conf and removed the "#" from the first "#SSH..." line ... save the file ... reopened to ensure the changes were saved ... exited VI then rebooted the box.

Is that correct?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
james887
Contributor
Contributor

Thats the correct way to enable SSH, are you able to still SSH in to the host?

0 Kudos
DevotedDad
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I didn't actually get to the point of testing the SSH - once I discovered that I'd lost vSphere client access I disabled SSH (edited out the line in inetd.conf) and rebooted the box. I actually tried this a couple of times, both with the same results.

With regard to vSphere access once SSH is enabled, I input the host IP address in the vSphere client box ... I don't have to preface the IP with anything such as "https://" when SSH is enabled, do I?

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
james887
Contributor
Contributor

No, accessing the host using the VSphere client is exactly the same if you have SSH enabled.

Can you try enabling SSH again and see if you can successfully connect?

DevotedDad
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate very much the helpful assistance - I was back at the datacenter again last night, tried the SSH enabling procedure again ... this time all works fine, SSH is enabled and the vSphere client is able to connect. Not sure, exactly, what the issue was the first time around.

0 Kudos
james887
Contributor
Contributor

Glad it's all working fine now, my initial thoughts would be that an underlying problem caused the connection issues so it may be an idea to have a look at it in more depth.

James

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do think this is more tha likely "fluke" and some other issue was behind it.

Do be aware there is no "correct" way to enable SSH, it's an unsupported activity, the "correct" way to do it is not at all.

0 Kudos