VMware Cloud Community
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Enabling Nested Virtualization on VM running on ESXi will it effect host performance

Hi All,

I have ESXi 5.5 running and on top of ESXi VM with windows 7 (2 vCPU / 16 GB RAM / 160 GB HDD) . The VM is enabled with Nested (Hardware Virtualization - Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS) on CPU.

My Question is by enabling Nested VM do i have performance issues on the ESXi , If yes is there a way to resolve it?

Thanks in Advance.

Raju Gunnal VCP 4, VCP 5, VTSP 4, VTSP 5, ITIL V3 http://www.techtosolution.com
0 Kudos
2 Replies
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

"My Question is by enabling Nested VM do i have performance issues on the ESXi"

No. Why would it.

But why do you enable the feature for a Win7 VM? What are you trying to achieve?

"If yes is there a way to resolve it?"

Turn it off...

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If I understand correctly, what you have is

Windows 7 VM hosted by -> ESXi 5.5 VM hosted by -> ESXi (what version???) running on bare metal

For better performance for VMs nested inside the ESXi 5.5 VM, the CPU needs to have VMCS Shadowing. This is an Intel CPU feature is available on Haswell and newer generations (although it does not mean all Haswell and newer CPUs).

Look for the line under the "Host VT-x capabilities" of the vmware.log of the ESXi 5.5 VM. This would indicate the VT-x feature set of the ESXi host running on bare metal.

| vmx| I125: Host VT-x Capabilities:

| vmx| I125:   Use VMCS shadowing                       {0,1}

If it is { 0 }, that means the CPU does not have that feature.

If you scroll further down there should be a "Active HV capabilities" section

| vmx| I125: Active HV capabilities

| vmx| I125:    VMCS shadow

You should be able to see a section Guest VT-x Capabilities, and this would be the less capable feature set compared to the Host VT-x capabilities. This is equivalent to indicating what the VT-x capabilities are inside the ESXi 5.5 VM.

I am not sure though if ESXi 5.5 is capable of exploiting VMCS Shadowing as it was released before most of the Haswell server CPUs were released (late 2013, early 2014). Perhaps if you don't see "Use VMCS shadowing" logged that means the ESXi version isn't even aware of the feature.

0 Kudos