VMware Cloud Community
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Enable passthrough - all options greyed out, PCI option under hardware not even there

What am I missing here? I'd like to turn one of my ESXi hosts into a media center which I will connect directly to my TV via HDMI. I'm looking at using passthrough with a graphics card so I installed a second graphics card in one of my ESXi hosts. I pulled this card out of another server that was running ESXi 6.5 which had the option of enabling passthrough on this card. All screenshots are from my 8.0.2 hosts.

When I power on the host with the two graphics cards in it I don't even have the PCI option when I go to configure --> PCI Devices

PCI missing

dbutch1976_2-1706386419948.png

PCI visible:
dbutch1976_0-1706386321299.png

Additionally, when I go directly to the host --> Manage --> Hardware --> PCI devices all of them are greyed out, this includes the graphics card which was available for passthrough on the other host:

dbutch1976_3-1706386616310.png

Is there a BIOS setting, or a host setting which has removed the PCI option under hardware? This is the only host that doesn't have it at all and has no devices available for passthrough. Additionally, this exact same GPU is available for passthrough if I install it in my legacy 6.5 host.

0 Kudos
0 Replies