VMware Cloud Community
Mbaqi
Contributor
Contributor

Enable Vlan - issue Esxi 6

I have Esxi 6 (HP ProliantDl380 Gen9 model), created interface with Vlan ID 300 on a VM and allowed for 2 vmnics (one active/one standby) (BCM5719) and I am using vsphere client. I ran tshark on the OS of VM (Debian) but the packet is not sent because the IP gateway is not arping.

I allowed Vlan ID (ALL 4095) and load Balance is "Route Based on originating virtual port ID", and accepted ( Promiscuous Mode, MAC address changes, and Forged Transmits) , Network failure Detection: link status only.

And on another Side am using cisco management switch, here is the configuration:

#int gi3

#no negotiation

#switchport mode trunk

#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 300

#spanning-tree portfast

#exit

And I've noticed that SW support dot1q only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rock0n
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you tagging inside the guest OS? (Virtual Guest Tagging) Because thats why we have the 4095 option. Have you tried just tagging at the port group level by setting the port group where the VM resides to 300?

0 Kudos
Mbaqi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am tagging inside the gest OS. Actually I am using vNetwork Standard switch (vswitch) method with physical NIC redundancy. Yes, I have tried to use VLAN ID: 300 on Port group properties, but unfortunately the same issue.

0 Kudos
rock0n
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'd start using no VLANs at all. Do the Ping stuff to try connectivity with the outside world, If this works, then try Tagging at the port group and not in the VM. Next step would be the 4095 option and tagging inside the Guest OS.

0 Kudos
Mbaqi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, pinging (without Vlan tagging) works properly . If I tag only on port group, the packet won't be sent with Vlan tagging from the gest OS.

Actually, I tried to tag 300 inside the OS and on port group. And tag 4095 on port group and 300 inside gest OS. Both of these ways don't work.

Excuse me! is there anymore configuration needs to be done on Esxi 6 ?

0 Kudos
Mbaqi
Contributor
Contributor

And the NICs support Vlan tagging already. unfortunately it seems the packet doesn't pass through VMware

0 Kudos
rock0n
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You have to choose whether to tag in the guest and use 4095(VGT) = "path through for tagged packets". Or tag at the port group and not inside the guest(VST) "let the port group / vswitch do the tagging", which is mostly the preferred method. I'm quite sure the mistake has to be searched at the physical switch VLAN configuration. There is nothing more you can do at the vSphere side to proper configure the VLAN settings.

0 Kudos
Mbaqi
Contributor
Contributor

I have SG300-28 28-Port Gigabit Managed Switch. I tried different ways to configure Vlan on the SW, here is the last configuration:

#int gi3

#no negotiation

#switchport mode trunk

#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 300

#spanning-tree portfast

#exit

I will get timeout, if I ping on the IP which has vlan tagging. whereas if I ping on any other IP (no Vlan), I will get a response.

0 Kudos
Mbaqi
Contributor
Contributor

if I run "arp -a" on the gest OS, the arp table will show "incomplete" on the interface vlan tagging.

0 Kudos
rock0n
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

have you seen this blog about VLAN, SG300 & VMware? I'd give it a try and do it from scratch as described in the article.

Cisco SG300 VLAN Setup with VMWare ESXi 5 — IT-Erate.com

0 Kudos