VMware Cloud Community
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Enable 3D Support

Hi

I have installed Google Earth on a Windows Server 2008 R2 vm but can't get the 3D graphics to work. Google Earth runs but only dispalys the outline of countries.

The enable 3D support option is is greyed out. I have updated the display driver to VMware SVGA 3D (Microsoft WDDM) and selected auto detect settings for the video memory.

Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

is the feature enabled from OS >>> check below link

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2008-r2/52746-server-2008-r2-sp1-remotefx-bring-full-3d...

Also I guess the VM tools and VM hardware will be update to date!

sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. Yes everything is up to date.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What is the hardware version? Try to update to v9.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Linjo. I will try this once we upgrade to ESX 5.1.

0 Kudos
drsmith86441
Contributor
Contributor

I changed the Guest Operating System from Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 7 64 Bit. Then I was able to check the 3D box. Desktop Experience feature is installed on the Windows 2008 R2 server. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your reply but I don't fully understand what you are saying. Can you elaborate please?

Lee

0 Kudos
drsmith86441
Contributor
Contributor

On the virtual machine that you are trying to enable 3D support and finding the 3D support greyed out, if it is Windows 2008 R2, Shutdown the virtual machine, edit the virtual machine properties and go to the options tab. On the right there is a "Guest Operating System" box. Select Microsoft Windows 7 instead of Windows 2008 R2. Save it. Again edit the properties and select 3D on the Video card. Save it and start the VM.

0 Kudos
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Am I missing something here? I need the VM to be a 2008 R2 machine.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Changing the GOS type is not going to change or affect your already installed GOS. As already mentioned by drsmith86441 that by changing the GOS type it worked for him you can just give a try by making the change as shown in the screenshot below.

VM_Win7.png

VM_3D.png

Thanks

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
drsmith86441
Contributor
Contributor

In my case the server was already a Windows Server 2008 R2, but I changed the Gest Operating System property without changing the actual OS. There is little difference in the underlying OS between 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

0 Kudos
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Guys

I knew where the settings were but I wasn't aware that you could change the guest operating system without causing any ill effects with the underlying machine.

I would like to give you guys a helpful answer tag but I don't appear to be able to.

0 Kudos