VMware Cloud Community
jobl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Emulex firmware update with OneCommand

Hi

I am trying to use Emulex OneCommand to update the firmware version of Emulex OneConnect cards.

I have installed the CIM provider but when I click the Emulex OneCommand Tab I get this

Adapter information could not be fetched from the server
Cannot proceed further

Any ideas how to solve it?

Version:ESXi 5.0 76811

HP460C G7

Regards

Johan

VCI, VCAP-DCA,VCAP-DCD,VCP-NV and so on 🙂 www.rtsab.com
12 Replies
elxaamaya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Johan,

After you install the CIM provider, try rebooting the server and logout from the vSphere client then log back in. Highlight the host and then select the OneCommand tab. it will take a few seconds to collect the data from the host. Let me know if this works.

--Alex

www.implementersLab.com

0 Kudos
jobl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried that ofcourse.. Did not work.. only thing that workes so far is to update the firmware from cd and then it works Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

This isn't related to the Emulex cards or HP hardware, but thought I would mention it anyway just incase it bears any relevance (you never know) ...  In order to get the Dell firmware updates working via the iDRAC and vCenter plugin I needed to enable the Telnet service on the iDRAC. The background process used telnet to push the firmware updates out to the hosts ... So just as a thought, is there any obscure network service that needs to enabled on the HP iLO to get this working?

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
jobl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting to know! Well after updating the fw to a later version manually it works. and HP ilo is not involved in this afaIk. But anyway good to know for dell boxes.. Even if I try to get all my clients to buy qlogic some of them buys Emulex Smiley Happy

I just wish emulex would use the qlogic approch and just make a vib package..

0 Kudos
elxaamaya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad you got it to work but still updating the CIM provider and OneConnect driver should of enabled you to view the host through the plug-in for a FW update. I will pass your information to Emulex engineering for investigation. If you are installing a newer version of CIM providers its best to update the driver. Both the CIM and OneConnect driver can be updated through VMware Update Manager by bulding yourself an extension to your baseline or individually adding it to the VMware Update Manager inventory.  As a best practice, its best to update the driver and FW. Since its an HP 460c G7 bladesystem, HP Support needs to recommend the latest version of supported HP FW and driver approved for VMware. Do not install Emulex FW from emulex.com or driver. HP Support will not support your bladesystem until you install HP's supported version. Last, make sure you follows HP Best practices for updating FW on the Blades as you may also need to make sure the VirtualConnect or Flex-10 adapters are at thier supported FW release.

--Alex

www.ImplementersLab.com

0 Kudos
jobl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the latest CIM provider. Problem is now that to update the FW (as I can't get it work with the current FW) we have to manually update over 100 hosts from cd) as soon as I put on the latest fw it works.. the qlogic way = vib package for driver and firmware.. which is so much better. I really hope emulex could do the same..

0 Kudos
dasearl
Contributor
Contributor

How do you manually update the firmware " .all "extension file i mean .I am trying to update it through Emulex One command ,but no success . I am getting this error NO APPLICABLE ADAPTERS/PORTS FOUND 

Does the port on HBA card need to be up before FW update  .

Any idea

Thanks

0 Kudos
elxaamaya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello dasearl,

Make sure you have the CIM providers installed on the ESX/ESXi hosts and reboot in order for the Emulex OneComand Manager application to see the adapters on the host. If the ports are down you may want to bring them up to make sure your firmware update is successful.

Also if you are updating the FW of an OEMs Emulex adapter? like an HP, IBM, Dell? if so contact the OEM to get the right version of the firmware and the supported OneCommand Manager application  from them. I've notice for example HP having an older version of OneCommand off their website but their drivers are also on a different release number then Emulex's.  

--Alex

dasearl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Alex

Thanks for the feed back .Yes the CIM provider is installed fine and I can see the HBA card through it . I am Using Emulex One Command Manager Plugin through VCenter for FW upgrade .The card is installed in to the HP Prolient DL machine but i have not connected that through Fiber channel Switch . Obviously the status is down .

http://www-legacy.emulex.com/downloads/ibm/fc-firmware-boot-code/lpe11000-lpe11002-for-ds4000-ds5000...

Its a Emulex LPE 11002  .

If I only able to understand this error

NO APPLICABLE ADAPTERS/PORTS FOUND

Thanks

0 Kudos
dasearl
Contributor
Contributor

I am putting up the screen shot of the error 6.JPG

0 Kudos
USTechServices
Contributor
Contributor

I receive the exact same message and I know for a fact that I'm using the correct firmware update file.

How do you update via CD?  Link?  Instructions?

0 Kudos
salmanearn
Contributor
Contributor

" I know for a fact that I'm using the correct firmware update file "

Please note the important things is are you loading the correct SIM provider with respect to your emulex card . I was successful after i loaded the correct SIM provider with the correct firm ware . SIM provider need to install on Esxi server through ESXCLI commands

If you are using the LPE series HBA card ,i was not able to find out way to update it through CD .The CD option is available with the OCe series through "One Connect flash" live CD.

If you can send me the exact model i may be able to find the right combination for you.  

0 Kudos